How long should I wait before removing eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NorthernSkye, Jul 10, 2010.

1. NorthernSkye

NorthernSkye New Egg

Jun 26, 2009
    Dawson Creek
    I have a Black Cochin who is setting 12 eggs in area away from any other chickens- she is setting americauna eggs from a neighbour. Thursady morning we noticed that there was one chick. now it is saturday morning and I can still only see one chick- how long should I leave the other eggs to see if they will hatch? I don't want to disturb her too much to see if there are any others hatched.. but I am pretty sure there isn't 12.. lol thoughts?
    thanks;) Skye

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

She'll get off soon to take care of her hatchling. Leave the eggs after she's off for a couple of days, & you might get an extra or two to hatch.

Sorry, [​IMG] & [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010
  3. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd leave it to her to decide when to abandon the nest.

4. NorthernSkye

NorthernSkye New Egg

Jun 26, 2009
    Dawson Creek
    she is in a fairly small area... her brood box is about 2X3 feet and her area for wandering is about 3x4 - was a last min space that was kinda set up (originally for a rabbit years ago) so I am worried that she can't get too far away and may just keep brooding. The one chicke comes out to eat and drink with her... [​IMG]

5. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

When I had a hen set up in a very similar situation when she decided it was time to get off she went out to the 'wandering around' area and the chicks she brought with her snuggled under her out in that area, not on the nest. I gave the hen about four hours to change her mind, then cleaned the nest of shells and put fresh shavings in there, and put her and the chicks back in. She then sat on the chicks in the nest again. I left her in that a week, then let her out in the population in the coop. At night (actually about an hour and a half before all the rest of them) she would bring the chicks in, and they slept in that brooder box...I had taken the fence away from the wandering area. Everything worked out fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by