How long should I wait for an acknowledgement?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by goldfinches, Mar 7, 2012.

1. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I ordered chicks over a week ago from what seems to be a nice, small farm/breeder. I paid by PayPal and have never received an acknowledgement. I emailed after a few days asking if they have an estimated hatch date and they didn't reply. How long should I expect to wait before I request my money back and try to find somewhere else to order? I need these chicks this spring, hoping to get a nice roo so I can get rid of my mean roo.

2. dirtbath

dirtbath Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    North Carolina
    I would wait 7-10 days after your initial purchase, and then file a complaint with PayPal and they are very good about refunding your money. I've had to do that twice with bad ebayers and i got all my money back except my shipping cost. Good luck!

3. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks, that was what I was thinking. I'm so sad, they had 3 breeds I really want and they were selling them as day old chicks. (I don't have an incubator and wasn't wanting to spend the $$ on one right now.) Oh well...

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Make sure you file your complaint in a timely manner, they won't help if you don't. I was refered to a small farm for call ducklings 2 yrs ago put in my order and paid paypal. But because I paid in advance and it was already 60 days they couldn't do anything. I emailed the farm for a whole year and finally the owner who had been sick and his family was tending to things saw my email he sent me a check, took a full year of emailing tons of where is my ducklings or money kind of emails. Bad story don't let it happen to you.
    Michele

5. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Michele, that's awful! I hope eventually you got your birds or a refund. I have received communication from the breeders and they're hopefully setting my eggs soon! Since it's already been 3 weeks, and I anticipate another 3 for hatching, I'm pushing that 60 days. But, I am feeling like these breeders will come through - I hope so. Thank you for letting me know about the paypal limit, I'll keep an eye on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by