1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long should i wait for eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mom wewantchicks!, Jul 25, 2008.

1. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    meaning how long should i leave my girls, who get to free range,in the coop to see if they are maybe laying. they are showing some signs and i added a nest box,so far nothing. is there a certain time that if they are going to lay,they would be done and then i could let them out? for all i know they could be laying eggs and id never find them! the favorite place for the chickens to hang out is a old barn with lots of stuff grown up around it and id never see an egg in there!!

2. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    How old are they?

What breeds are they?

What are you feeding them?

I have seen some of the more experienced ladies and gents with a guide that tells you approximently when diffrent breeds will lay. You might try doing a search on this subject.

Good luck![​IMG]

3. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    sorry i was a little unclear, i have 3 chickens 2 BA and 1 that i quess to maybe be a red sexlink that are all about 20 weeks. im not wondering when they will lay but what time of day!! they get to free range and i thought someone had said wait till after 1pm to let them out,they should have layed by then. they are spoiled and love their time outside. if they are laying i would never find the egg if they do it outsied the coop!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by