How long should I wait...Muscovy eggs in the bator?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Feathered Landings, May 18, 2010.

1. Feathered Landings

Feathered Landings Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I'm wondering how long I should wait before I call this hatch a complete failure? Today is the start of day 38 and with only 4 eggs that went into lockdown, none have even pipped yet. I started with 7...1 was and early quitter and 2 were late quitters (right before lockdown) I've only ever hatched chicken eggs and they were all late as well, hatched on days 22-23. So since muscovys take much longer than chicks, should I wait longer too, maybe 39-40 days or is this not a good sign? Thanks for the advice [​IMG]
    Rachel

2. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Muscovy eggs take 33 days to hatch, I would say on day 35 if you don't toss them they may blow up and ruin your bator. Im not a Muscovy egg expert by any means.. Im a Muscovy egg idiot.. however the math seems right.. 3 days over hatch date no matter what that date is.. and I would personally toss them.

3. Feathered Landings

Mar 27, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Oh, I've always read 35 days for incubation, not 33. If that's the case then I'm really past [​IMG] I was hatching these for a friend, I didn't expect it to go so wrong, I've never had problems like this when hatching chickens eggs. I knew the were harder but didn't expect this.

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Muscovy hatch takes 33-36 day with them averaging 34-35. If a hen was sitting on them, I'd wait up to a week longer since there are so many variables w/hen. I've had a hatch up to a 1.5 wk. later than I expected and up to 3-4 days earlier. Day 38 does seem late esp. with a bator. I know Bleenie has hatched Scovy eggs before and a # of others have also. Hopefully, they will pop on here with some advice.

I do know humidity at lockdown is crucial in Scovy eggs. I believe Bleenie kept it at around 50% but you would have to ask her for comfirmation.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  5. Feathered Landings

Mar 27, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Thanks for your replies, turns out they all did not make it [​IMG] I'm really upset over it as I had 7 to start and didn't even have 1 hatch. Seems like somethings went wrong late on...maybe a humidity issue [​IMG] I may try to get a hold of Bleenie if I try this again (thanks keeperoftheeart for that suggestion) but this was only for a friend, not myself, so if she doesn't want me to try again then there's really no point. I'm not ready to have ducks yet, too much on my plate already. Anyways, just wanted to update you all since you took time to help me out. Thanks again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by