1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long should I wait to Euthanize?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RobynD, Nov 20, 2013.

1. RobynD

RobynD Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2013
    I have a phoenix chicken, probably about 5 months old. A couple of months ago she acted like she had toxins in her system and was very near death. But she pulled through. Then about 2 months later she got sick again (not free ranging anymore in my backyard at this time) so we thought it was toxins being released and working their way through. Just when I thought she was better she went lame. It's been a week that her right leg hasn't been working. And now she's stuck laying on her side and can't get up. I feel badly making her suffer like this and I'm wondering how long does one wait before they euthenize? Is there a chance she'll recover from this? I feel so badly for her. She's not really eating or drinking anymore. I was tube feeding her but I'm afraid that doing this is just prolonging it for her.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry... Sounds like it could be Marek's.

-Kathy

3. RobynD

RobynD Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2013
    She's been lame for a week.

4. cmedeiros17

cmedeiros17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    I'm so sorry. I feel your pain.....I went through something similar with a chicken that was ill and seemed to perk up then fall ill again. I hated to euthanize her if she could potentially recover. I went about a month with her being separated from the others. Sadly she would just sit there. She was losing weight. And eventually I finally admitted to myself that she was not having any quality of life. I think that is what it boils down to. Quality of life....... I think you will know when it is time.

1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2... That's what a vet once told me.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by