1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long should I wait?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by LoupGarou, May 9, 2009.

1. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    I'm not sure if this post is in the right place or not (mods, feel free to move it, if it's not), but I have a question about people shipping eggs. For my first hatch, I'd ordered bantam araucana eggs--only one hatched due to a number of factors. I decided I wanted to try again, so after looking here for a seller and finding no one with bantam eggs available, I decided to try eBay again. I paid April 28 for eggs that we agreed would be shipped on May 4 (last Monday). We sent a couple of chatty emails back and forth, and on the second I sent the seller an email asking for confirmation that my eggs would be shipped.

The reply I received was . . . interesting. The seller stated that she would send the eggs unless she was dead, which at her age (she said) was not impossible. She then related a brief story which had her in the hospital for several days due to an injury from a "green" light bulb. I sent her a return email sending her well-wishes and the assurance that I was not terribly impatient--as long as she sent me an email if she were unable to ship the eggs. After her assurance that she would send the eggs/email with tracking number and that she was "good at this" (her three-figure positive rating would confirm this) I wished her well and went on studying for my final exam.

Well, it's Saturday and I have no eggs in my possession. There has been no email with a tracking number or any email of any kind. I sent her an email yesterday asking if I should get on the post office's case--just so that she wouldn't immediately think I was accusing her of cheating me--and I have received no response. I said I was not impatient and under the right circumstances I'm not, but I'm ready to contact PayPal and dispute the charges, since I can't afford to replace the eggs any other way.

I welcome any feedback that you folks have to offer. Have I been patient enough or should I wait until Monday to take care of this? My poor little bantam Araucana singleton has nine standard Buff Orpington chicks to keep it company, but I don't want to take the chance that my only Araucana is going to end up a rooster when I wanted the eggs for crafting.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their polite opinions!

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Contact Paypal. Business is business. If you pay for something you should get it, if you don't , get your money back.

3. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I've bought a lot of stuff on eBay. I have over 600 feedbacks, that probably represents on 1/4 of the buys I've made there. When you get someone this flaky use the system to your advantage. Use the eBay Resolution Center: cut and paste the Item Number in and away you go... to file a product not received complaint, she'll get a copy of it, and then she'd best get it in gear. If she doesn't PayPal can cancel the financial transaction: you get your money back, her bank account gets DEBITed for the charge.

After one month you can't leave negative feedback, heck you can't leave any feedback at all... File the complaint with eBay/PayPal NOW...

Best of luck... get someone here to send you some eggs...

Michael

4. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I'll contact eBay and PayPal today. Unfortunately, I've done the math and I can't afford eggs from anyone here (even if I could find another person with bantam Araucana eggs) since my car has chosen to die and not only do I need repairs, but I also need to have unmedicated chick starter shipped in since I'm getting ducks next week. I'm really disappointed, since these were the chicks I wanted the most due to their uses for crafting. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to order some blown eggs off eBay and wait to get chicks/laying hens when my car "gets better." Yep, it stinks, but that's life sometimes.

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Wait until you get your money back from Paypal, maybe then you can try again. I have had several "egg" problems, they do suck, but they aren't the end of the world.
    I can't afford a lot of these eggs, I just wait for a good deal. Check out the auctions on the swap page, those are sometimes less expensive than on the Buy board.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  6. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    I checked out the website connected with the auction and it is "under repair." I don't think that the future of my eggs is very positive, unfortunately. I know I can't afford to do so, but I just ordered some bantam EE eggs from risq. I know that they're not the same, but I'm not interested in showing and I can always get some bantam araucanas next year, if I want them. I'm only interested in the eggs, not in showing, so purity really doesn't matter to me.

7. tn chick

tn chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    SW Tennessee
    okay ill post my say here
    i have sold on ebay for the last 6 yrs i have over 2000 feedback 100%

here is what i would do since you paid with paypal contact them file a dispute then go in and esculate the claim telling them you havent received your item or confirmation she has a few days to reply back and give confirmation they were shipped key advise her listen closely
    DONT CANCEL CLAIM UNTILL YOU HAVE YOUR EGGS or paypal gives you mooney bacck the reason is if she says i mailed them to you please close dont do no matter what if she didnt do this and you close you cant reopen once you have closed it and your outta your money
    ebay them self wont do anything sad as it is you have to have spent a certain amount of money then pay a fee to get whats left of your money back paypal is where you want to go with this.
    its very sad when this happens but as someone posted business is business

best of luck also last thing it could take up to a month to get your money back

8. ugly ducky

ugly ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    S.E. MO
    File with eBay and PayPal for product not received. PayPal will refund your money unless the seller can prove that you received it, as long as you paid thru PayPal. They will also freeze her account until the matter is resolved, so believe me, you'll either get your eggs or the money. Sellers tend to respond once their account is locked down.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  9. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    Thanks for all of the replies! Yeah, I've gone ahead and filed a dispute. I'm not all that concerned about getting the money back if I can get *fresh* eggs. If the package arrives on Monday and it says that it was shipped last Monday I'll file a claim with the post office and just give it up as a bad job. I don't have a great deal of hope for anything good coming out of this transaction, but we'll see. Until then, I have some wonderful bantam EEs coming--Yay rizq! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by