how long should I wait?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by montcapu, May 17, 2009.

1. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    I believe i have a broody hen, she has been sitting on a nest all day today, and anytime i boot her off as soon as i was done she would be right back on it.... also she was ruffling her feathers and squaking at me if i came close and pecked at me several times

my question is how long should i wait to make sure will want to sit on eggs prior to putting eggs under her... also she is a delaware what is the number of eggs that I can put under her?

thanks everyone

2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I take advantage of them asap. If they get up and leave, the eggs go in the incubator or under a different broody. I band all the good moms. She can have as many as she can cover and they can puff up pretty big. That is great a chicken family in the making! [​IMG]

3. montcapu

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    well I do not have an incubator and hubby said no more chickies inthe house (he cannot have them due to his long hours at work and do not have anyother broodies at this time.... wishing for more) so any other suggestions about how long I should wait

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Give her a dozen , they don't cost much and try her out.

5. montcapu

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    not worried about cost, I have roosters so I have plent yof eggs that are fertile

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, you should give her 24 hrs. on her current nest to see if she is going to set tight. If she does, then you can move her to a broody pen. This is best done at night.

7. montcapu

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    I am just crossing fingers - hoping she will want to sit on eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by