1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long should I wait?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by worryhorse, May 16, 2011.

1. worryhorse

worryhorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2010
    I need advice. Please help if you can. I tried putting 5 Chinese Goose eggs in the incubator, but only two hatched, and only one of those two survived. And I have to stop and say I am in love with the little darling! She's just beautiful and makes us all smile. I raised the parents since they were a week old, so it brings back wonderful memories of them growing up.
    [​IMG]
    But, my female Chinese goose has been dedicatedly sitting on a nest of 5 eggs since April 11. It has now been 36 days. I have been doing a lot of reading and most say it can take up to 28 - 30 days. How long should I let her sit on the nest? Until she gives up on her own? Should I try to interfere and take the eggs? I am reasonably sure that the eggs were fertile. The two that hatched in my incubator needed assistance. I ended up carefully peeling the shells from them after 24 hours of no progress. One gosling was malformed, the other like I said is perfect. I checked the other eggs after a couple more days and found that there was dead goslings. I felt terrible for them. I wondered if they too had not been able to get free of the shells. I read in several forums that that is not uncommon for goose eggs that are hatched in a man made enviroment. Now I worry about hers. I am afraid that perhaps I should have already checked and tried to see if they needed assistance. Or now is it too late? I have not attempted to candle them because I have also read that if you disturb a goose on her nest that she may abandon them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Hi
    I'd wait another week and then see. BTW I count 34 days from the 11th? Depending on when she actually heavily started setting they could be later than regular.
    Aprille

3. worryhorse

Oct 12, 2010
    Thank you for such a quick reply. Today is actually the 35th day. I added a day, silly I know, because I figured just in case anyone didn't read this post until tomorrow.

"Nicki" had kind of here and there sat on the nest for about 1 1/2 weeks prior to April 11th. Then she started getting moodier and moodier. She has never been exceptionally social in regards to wanting to be touched, but both her and the gander (who loves physical attention) always wanted to be close and around if someone was outside with them. But on April 11th, she nipped my leg then grabbed my hand. So I put her in her pen and closed the gate. She gave me a few "last word" squawks, then climbed on the nest. She has sat there peacefully ever since. We have seen her off the nest not more than 5 or 6 times, although I am sure she has gotten off more than that. Seeing her immediate reaction to being "locked" in her pen, I believe that what she wanted was privacy. Until that point, the chickens were always wandering in and out of the pen, even laying eggs in her nest.

4. worryhorse

Oct 12, 2010
    Sorry if I ended abruptly...hubby came home for lunch. :)

Thanks again for the quick reply and some encouragement. I am hoping that all these weeks of her dedicating herself to those eggs pays off. I will wait for another week or so. Then try to figure out where to go from there if the eggs still have not hatched and she has still not given up.

5. moeplants

moeplants Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Iron Ridge
    I am new to all of this, so am no help, I just wanted to say that she is absolutely beautiful!!!

6. worryhorse

Oct 12, 2010
    OH MY GOODNESS!!!

After some kind thoughts and replies to my various posts concerning the lack of hatching goslings, I went outside to check on her once again...

[​IMG]

There is a total of three goslings!

Thank you everyone who replied for listening to this old hen!

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Aww! Congrats!!!! Are you going to put the other goosling with its siblings?

8. worryhorse

Oct 12, 2010
    wasn't sure...may give the new ones a day or two to get their land legs. The older gosling is SOOOOO much larger than them now. And tiny bit spoiled perhaps [​IMG]

Then I will test the grounds. What do you think?

9. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    If they were chickens, I'd toss the older chick in asap (but for sure at night). I assume the older one isn't more than about a week older than the young ones. I've done it with chickens and they were fine. Again though, no clue about geese, but I guess they are the same. [​IMG]

CONGratz on your beautiful new babies! [​IMG]

10. scottfarm

scottfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    MILL CREEK, WV
    [​IMG] aawwweee congrats.. i would try and sneek in the other one at night . it might work , just watch her for a while..
    good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by