How long should I wait?

lizp8

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
So... I think I may have done something wrong in this process
sad.png
This is my first time attempting to hatch eggs and it's day 23... and nothing... I had started with 11 but nothing happened in 5 of them so I took those out around day 15 (a bit late to check but I am new to all of this). The rest seemed to still have something inside so they remained in the incubator. However, I don't see much going on. I feel like a complete failure
th.gif
I know everything is a learning process, but I can't help but feel that way. I don't know if I should get rid of them now or wait a little longer... I'm upset and disappointed with myself and hopefully next time I will do a better job...

Was there movement at day 15? What was your temp? Humidity during incubation? Humidity during lockdown?

Quote:
hey its okay dont worry and yes it is a learning process the first 5 times i incubated were bad but around the 6th time i got the hang of it finally an egg that may look like it is fully developed may not be and when you crack it open turns out the egg had died in the first week of incubation and what is the temp and humidity inside the bator?

I think I may have messed up the humidity during incubation. At least if that's the case, I know where I went wrong, but I can't help but feel like a horrible person if I'm the reason they don't hatch!

My temperature was 99 during incubation. I know that's a tad low, but I couldn't get it quite right (it's an incubator my school had, I'm a teacher, and it's not the most high-tech thing). I figured it was better to go a tad low then too high so I left it at 99.

Quote:
i felt the same way when i was first incubating if you live near a TSC there is a hydrometer there for $2.99 its indoor/outdoor and you can just set it on top of the eggs if you have a turner or on the wire if you turn them by hand and its pretty accurate for me when i bought one i found out the humidity was at 30% during incubation and hatching which is very bad

fl.gif
If your humidity was not too high give them a couple more days. If your temp was 99 in a still air they could be late. It doesn't hurt and if you want candle one and you can't see anything that means they may be ok. Let us know what happens.

yeah chicks hatch late i have 2 right now in the bator that were due yesterday and i pipped out a bigger hole for better air supply i was worried ^_^ and 2 hatchs ago i had 5 chicks hatch out from day 21 to day 25

Ok, I will keep hoping that something will happen! I did candle a couple and they were dark inside, so I am hoping they are just being lazy! We shall see... Just keeping my fingers crossed!!

welcome-byc.gif
If the temp is a little low they may take a little longer to hatch, a little high the quicker they hatch. Good luck!!!
jumpy.gif
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom