How long should it take?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickathon, Dec 11, 2011.

1. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I have 6 australorps and two New Hampshire Reds that have red combs and wattles that haven't laid a single egg! [​IMG] I even kept them confined to see if maybe that they were hiding a nest. No extra eggs. I have 3 red sex links that have started and they are the same age. I got them from Meyer hatchery and they have been health from the begining. Could even pullets stop laying until spring?[​IMG] Even the red sex links don't lay every day. These are my first chickens. Any advice would be helpful.

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    How old are they?

3. chickathon

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    They were hatched June 20th. So this makes them about 6 months.

4. cluck-darth-peep

cluck-darth-peep Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    upper ohio
    Quote:I also purchased at Meyer hatchery, also born June 20th. My Grandmother told me the heavy breeds start to lay around 25/26 weeks, in winter. The RIR, Speckled Sussex, and Golden Buff have been giving me an egg a day since November. Waiting on the Barred Rock. Give it a few more weeks. I expect before Christmas.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  5. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My Australorps (and my light Brahmas) were hatched May 14th. I got my first egg on October 30. Don't know which breed did the deed, but by end of the first week I was getting up to 8 eggs a day from 10 hens.

Your girls are pretty close to mine right now. I would think you can expect an egg any day now. . . if they will lay in the short days. I have my lights set for 13 hours of daylight and usually get 8-9 eggs a day.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

6. cluck-darth-peep

cluck-darth-peep Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    upper ohio
    Do you have a light in the coop? My Grandma is 94 years old and she told me she turned the barn light on at 2:30am. And do not feed them a lot of scratch or treats, she said.

7. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I do have lights in my coop. My light comes on earlier in the morning than the sun rises (about 4:30) and goes off about 8:00 a.m. Then the incandescent light comes on about 4:30 in the p.m. and goes off at 7:00 p.m.

I also have a red light that comes on 15 minutes before 7:00 and goes off 15 minutes after so the chickens have both warning and time to seek their roost before full dark falls.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

8. chickathon

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I don't have a light in the coop. I do the natural lighting thing. I think it must be just my luck. I posted my question and one of my australorps laid an egg today. Was suprised to see how small it was. Does anyone Know how large they should be? This one was just barely big enough to be called a large egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by