how long should light be on them? HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sutphindanesnchickens, Feb 16, 2009.

1. sutphindanesnchickens

sutphindanesnchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    NorthofColumbus Ohio
    I currently dont have a light in my coop for fear of a fire or birds pecking at bulb but was wondering how long a light should be left on if i do decide to put one in? and would it help them to start laying regularly? ALSO I am feeding them laying mash currently with table scraps how much oyster shells should i mix in their feed???? HELP NEWBY to chickens

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I'm new too but i have read that you should have light on timer so equal 14 hrs a day. Some here don't recommend this though but i'm not sure why. As far a oyster shell they say to feed it in seperate container and they will eat what they need. Hope this is helpful. Good luck

3. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    How old are the chickens? Do you want light for the warmth? We live in Ohio and its been -20 with a windchill and the chickens have been fine in the coop with no heat. The straw is about 6 inches deep. One rooster has frostbite on his comb but I think its from playing in the water. He likes to fling water when I put the water in the coop inthe morning. Strange bird.

Out of 13 hens I got 4 eggs a few days ago but usually I get one or two - they add up fast though. Most of mine are about through with the nasty molt. I never thought my beauties could be so ..... icky looking!

My chickies have laying crumbles out all the time, corn tossed on the floor to scratch at and oyster shell in a square next to a wall where they like to fluff in it more than eat it. They snack on oyster shell when they want it - I've never mixed it with their food. There is also chick grit on the floor for them to fluff in. They go outside when the weather allows. Right now it is lightly snowing and they are out in it.

I hope this helps a bit! [​IMG]

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

During the winter we have a 100W bulb in a grid-protected brooder lamp that comes on from 5 am - 8 am. Getting an average of 11.5 eggs daily from 12 hens. You have to estimate according to your latitude to supplement to make up 14 hours...we're 45 degrees north.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You kinda need to figure out what works for you. With 20,000+ members you will get 40,000+ opinions. [​IMG] When I first got chickens, about 6 years ago I was told by another chicken owner that it was better to have the light on 24/7 rather than a timer. I don't know why, and didn't know to ask at the time. So that's what I did for 5 years before I found this site. It's never been a problem so I see no need to change. I was also told by the feedstore to sprinkle the oyster shell & scratch on the layer pellets like salt. I have had virtually no problems with predators, pests, or illness so I won't be making any changes to what I've been doing. I guess I'm saying if your chickens are happy, healthy, and safe your doing it right. Good Luck!
    Imp-can't follow directions anyhow

6. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    I have 2 red heat-lights on in our coop 24/7.... it stays 60f in there even tho I keep the windows cracked for air....

I used long screws to secure the clamp-reflectors high up so the Chickens do not constantly "bump" into them...

I also have a 150w (37w usage) Compact Fluorescent light that is on from 10 am to 7 pm... just because it can be so cloudy here, and the coop is dim evev with 2 big windows, and Sunset is between 5:30 and 6pm.........

We currently have 3 Bantams, 8 Rocks laying--and a few of our younger girls are just starting to lay--
    We are getting 10-15 eggs a day....

7. sutphindanesnchickens

Feb 6, 2009
    NorthofColumbus Ohio
    The chickens range from 9 month olds to year olds. RIR Black stars and a barred rock. If i put a brooder light in there on a timer should it be up in the top corner? can I get one of these at TSC? also what is laying pellets? and scratch? mine are on laying mash and thats it???? NEWBY

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Laying mash and laying pellets are two versions of the same feed, just different consistencies. I prefer the layer pellets because I've noticed much less waste with the pellets. I just dump a bucket full of pellets in the feeder every couple of days. No mess, no fuss.
    Scratch comes in various forms around here - one is finely ground corn that my chickens like mixed with warm water in the wintertime. Chops is crushed corn and scratch grains is the chopped corn mixed with other grains and some seed. The chickens love all three, but I only give them small amounts. Just something to scratch and peck for in the wintertime when other free range choices are low.

9. sutphindanesnchickens

Feb 6, 2009
    NorthofColumbus Ohio
    Am heading to TSC tonight so the question of many RED or white light bulbs? timer or no timer? I also had bought deer corn which i mix with my laying mash as a treat but they are scratching out the mash to get to the corn so maybe i should put the corn in a separate bowl???

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I always feed my scratch seperate from the layer pellets in the feeder for exactly that reason. They will push out the pellets looking for their chicken crack (corn).
    I toss the scratch on the ground. It gives them something to do, scratching around and hunting and pecking. Good way to get your shavings turned too.
    I don't add light, but if you choose to I've read it's best to add the light at the start of the day rather than at the end. A timer would allow you to accomplish that without getting up at 4 AM.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by