How long should they take???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HorseMadWhovian, Dec 14, 2013.

1. HorseMadWhovian

HorseMadWhovian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    On my horse ;)
    How long should Ducklings take to actually get out of the egg, from the moment they start pecking to when they are fully out?
    Thanks

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    it could take up to 24 hrs- just be patient. if they poked a hole they can breathe they are fine

3. HorseMadWhovian

Dec 12, 2013
    On my horse ;)
    Its been almost 30 hours since they started pecking and none have a hole yet, I candled them because they weren't making any noise this morning and four have their bills in the air space, two don't but they look fully developed, are they alive?
    Thanks

4. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would let them be - you didn't say what day this is day 28? it goes like this-

you see them rocking- it could be one more day til they get in the air cell-

they are in the air cell? it could be one more day until they peck a hole.

They pecked a hole? it could be one more day til they fully hatch.

It may be sooner than that but each milestone takes a while. - once they peck an outer hole, they can breathe leave them to hatch fully- when they get bored in the egg they will finish up.

5. HorseMadWhovian

Dec 12, 2013
    On my horse ;)
    Day 28 was yesterday, thank you, I've hatched chickens before and they're much quicker so I thought I'd done something wrong this time.

6. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Don't be worried, just keep that humidity up and sit on your hands. Ducks not only take longer to cook, but they are a lot slower in hatching compared to a chicken. They will be just fine. :)

7. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    and they do need a bit more humidity than chickens.

8. HorseMadWhovian

Dec 12, 2013
    On my horse ;)
    I don't have a device to tell me what humidity, I want one though. I've filled both pots full way and sprayed warm water around, is that enough?

9. HorseMadWhovian

Dec 12, 2013
    On my horse ;)
    Is there anything I should do? They were meant to hatch yesterday, started pecking on Friday. Sorry I'm really paranoid, when should I start to worry/ do something to help?

10. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would avoid spraying anything- not a fan of spray. sometimes chicks are delayed. I had some that hatched on day 23.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by