How long tell my rooster can be with the hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, May 9, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I got a rooster from people I know, hes a very healthy clean boy, no mites,lice,scaly leg mites,dieases etc. Took care of very well. Well... hes in the cage at the bottom of the coop, I was wondering how long tell he can actually be with the hens? Right now they try to go at each other though the cage bars, but how long should I wait?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sometimes you can put a new bird in with the flock right away without causing any major pecking or fighting, and sometimes it takes weeks. Just depends on the birds.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I added my roo to my girls with no problems. I now would suggest keeping your roo isolated from your existing flock for at least 3 weeks.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If they're currently only separated by wire, then any potential exposure to disease has already taken place, I'd think. Do you free range at all??? That might be your best bet in introducing them. Since you have a space to keep him, I think I'd give him a shot whenever you have time to sit out there and observe for a while. If things go really badly, you can always contain him for another week or so...

5. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Hes disease free, Came from a healthy flock. I let them free range when Im home, But they can't free range this last week because 2 hawks have been hanging around the coop. 3/4 of my hens except the rooster. But the 3-4 alpha girls are starting stuff, So I guess ill leave him in longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by