How long til eggs go bad?

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I’m not sure if i’m posting in the right forum, but i have had eggs out in the garage in an egg carton. Does anyone know how long eggs are good for without being refrigerated?

Thank you! How should i be washing my eggs?
A few ways to handle it. You can wash them as soon as you get them (but then they must be refrigerated after that point), or wash right before use. My mother-in-law opts to wash the eggs I give her just before use.

Or don't wash at all. For the most part my eggs are clean enough to use without washing so I don't bother. The only time I wash them is if there's noticeable dirt/poop (in which case I wash and then put the egg in front of the line to use as soon as possible) or if I'm soft/hard boiling, as I don't want debris floating in the boiling water.

If you are washing eggs it's recommended to use water a little warmer than the temperature of the egg as eggshells are porous and cooler water would cause the insides of the egg to start contracting, thus drawing any bacteria left behind into the egg. You can wash with just a rinse, or you can scrub. I use a mushroom brush that I reserve for eggs only, to scrub any eggs that need it.

What's the temp in the garage?
If it's not 100°F then they are probably fine.

Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

I don’t refrigerate them because a lot of people that have chickens have told me that it keeps them lasting longer. As soon as you refrigerate them, you need to use them they told me. My friends dad has chickens and he leaves them not refrigerated for a month and they are still good. But i will do the float test and see
Reverse that - refrigerated eggs can last 3-4 months, whereas room temperature eggs are best used in a few weeks. I've read that 1 day at room temp is equal to 1 week in a fridge, but I can't say how accurate that is.

Also it depends on how hot it is, and how humid your egg storage location is.

IF you float the eggs you must refrigerate, as it washes off the bloom protecting them from bacteria.

A few ways to handle it. You can wash them as soon as you get them (but then they must be refrigerated after that point), or wash right before use. My mother-in-law opts to wash the eggs I give her just before use.

Or don't wash at all. For the most part my eggs are clean enough to use without washing so I don't bother. The only time I wash them is if there's noticeable dirt/poop (in which case I wash and then put the egg in front of the line to use as soon as possible) or if I'm soft/hard boiling, as I don't want debris floating in the boiling water.

If you are washing eggs it's recommended to use water a little warmer than the temperature of the egg as eggshells are porous and cooler water would cause the insides of the egg to start contracting, thus drawing any bacteria left behind into the egg. You can wash with just a rinse, or you can scrub. I use a mushroom brush that I reserve for eggs only, to scrub any eggs that need it.
Thank you!

What's the temp in the garage?
If it's not 100°F then they are probably fine.

Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.
No the garage gets to maybe 80° on a hot day. After seeing other people say to refrigerate them, we might buy a small mini fridge for the garage.

Any reason you have not put them in the fridge,?
Do the float test
Get a deep container if cold water. Put one egg at a time in. If the eggs lays on its side it's good. If it stands in pointy end, still usable but crack it open and look closely. if it floats to the top, discard it, its bad.
I don’t refrigerate them because a lot of people that have chickens have told me that it keeps them lasting longer. As soon as you refrigerate them, you need to use them they told me. My friends dad has chickens and he leaves them not refrigerated for a month and they are still good. But i will do the float test and see

Reverse that - refrigerated eggs can last 3-4 months, whereas room temperature eggs are best used in a few weeks. I've read that 1 day at room temp is equal to 1 week in a fridge, but I can't say how accurate that is.

Also it depends on how hot it is, and how humid your egg storage location is.

IF you float the eggs you must refrigerate, as it washes off the bloom protecting them from bacteria.
Thank you! How should i be washing my eggs?

Back
Top Bottom