How long til my rooster mans up?

AggieBri

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 6, 2012
We have a stray rooster that is estimated to be about 9 months old. We just got a few sweet Delaware hens that are about 6 months old. The roo is about the same size as the girls perhaps a hair smaller. Right now he is at the bottom of the pecking order and is terrified of the girls even though they've mostly left him alone. Will the roo eventually become alpha? Will the hens eventually look to him for protection? As of right now he's a bit of a pansy! We love him though.

We're new to this whole chicken thing! Thanks guys

And yes, the Delawares ARE laying! They aren't very big though, do you happen to know if they get bigger as they get older?

Going off his wattles and comb size, he looks more like 4-5 months old, if that. Maybe put him on a "flock raiser" diet to fatten him up a bit. He looks on the scrawny side. He is obviously a mix with the light feathering on the legs. I love the Splash coloring though, looks a little like my Splash Orpington cockerel.

I agree, I don't think that roo is 9 months. How long have you had him? He looks adolescent to me.
Your Dellies are pretty. When hens start laying they start small and work up to a nice large-ish egg.

I think your roo is just too young to know what to do yet. He'll figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom