How long til the predators come?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by whytedragon, May 18, 2010.

1. whytedragon

whytedragon Songster

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    I know that's an impossible question to ask, so I'm just looking for insight and opinions [​IMG]

We've lived here for about a month and a 1/2 now..we're on 1.5 acres in a rural area about 4 miles outside of city limits. We have a creek that runs behind our house, lots of trees to the back and the left of us, it's pretty wooded. We hear coyotes occasionally far off. There are a lot of farms out here, mostly poultry, some horses, sheep, and goats.

We have yet to see ANY predators..except the occasional chicken hawk that has never bothered any of my chickens...and of course dogs, but we're gated.

So I haven't really had to worry about my chickens and ducks...but how long should I expect this? Are there really some areas that just don't get predatorized?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    We have yet to see ANY predators

That doesnt mean they aren't there.
    If your coop and run are SECURE, you'll be OK no matter how many come around​

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Crowing

Apr 19, 2009
    Who said if you don't see them, they're not there? [​IMG]

4. whytedragon

whytedragon Songster

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh I know they're there...even in the city they were there. But I keep expecting something to come knocking at my coop or carry off one of my ducks while I'm asleep. Nope.
    I'm in the process of building a pen for the ducks, but everyone else is secure...aside from some openings in wire that was already there and needs repair. Just wondering how long I'll have good luck before I get all these things patched, lol. Is there a reason they're not coming around right now?

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Is there a reason they're not coming around right now?

They probably ARE coming around, and you just haven't seen them.
    They just haven't found a way into your coop, but that doesn't mean they haven't been in the yard trying
    I had a fox walk up on the porch one night and eat out of the cat's bowl when I was sitting less than 6 ft away.

He stayed about 3 minutes and was gone, and if I hadn't been there, I'd never have know HE was either​

6. kota1369

kota1369 Songster

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I agree with everyone else that they have probably stopped by your place already. I live in the city.
    I have seen opossums and a few dead raccoons so I know they are around. I have not had any
    proof that anything has ever messed with my coop or run. But, I am very watchful.
    Your yard also, like mine has the smells of prey and predator which may help with that. I would say
    your biggest threat is hawks and neighbor dogs.
    I say make everything good and secure so you don't have to wonder when they will try to break in.
    And yes, domestic cat can be a threat. But most don't really want to tangle much with a full grown chicken.

the lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits, 7 kits and a lizard

7. whytedragon

whytedragon Songster

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    Well obviously they're not too bright, cause I have an open coop right now with my broody Silkies and chicks, and my ducks and a couple roosters are just running around free. Plus my other Silkies are in a 2" chainlink pen. My standard chickens have a huge hole near the roof.
    So yeah, they must not be very intelligent, lol...or I am just very lucky so far. So many things I need to get done!

8. whytedragon

whytedragon Songster

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    Also, I forgot to mention...before we moved in, I brought my 3 Buff Orpington chicks out and left them in a raised rabbit hutch with wire on the bottom, something nibbled their toes off. Could have very well been a dog though, at that time there was a huge hole dug under the front fence, so we knew dogs were getting in...and there are lots of them around here.

9. eekgads

eekgads Chirping

Aug 19, 2009
    Central VA
    I got my first chickens in the spring & didn't have any predator problems until THAT fall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: