1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long til they settle in?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paddyg84, Mar 9, 2013.

1. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Got my first ever 4 hens today. They are shy and staying in the coop and they seem timid. How long until they get used to me? Also when can I expect them to start laying, they are at point of lay.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens are afraid of anything different, so they need time to get used to their new home and new people. I'd suggest sitting with or near them regularly, and offer some simple treats such as table scraps or bird seed. Coax them out of the coop with treats. You might have to let them stay in for a day or two til they feel ready to come out. Chickens love BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) and a little is good for them; I give mine a handful every day or two. Talk to them, come up with a call (here chicky chicky or whatever) and say it when you give treats so they associate the sound with the food Give them time to learn you are the bearer of treats. They will come running soon enough.

When you see their combs get redder, along with some other signs, they are getting ready to start laying. They may not start until they're comfortable with you and the new home.

3. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Thanks, great advice there. Wil keep having contact with them and treats like you suggested. Went out to the with some mixed feed and they wouldn't come to me so I scattered it and walked away. Looked back and they were going mad for it. They have also discovered their feeder and drinker. Only one is using the roost. The others were sitting on the floor of the coop puffed up. They haven't left the coop yet but will just give them time. Only had them 4 hours. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by