How long till a broody lays again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mommysongbird, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We had a broody pullet a few weeks ago and now she isn't even laying. How long till she lays again??

I had to take the artificial eggs out of the boxes because of her, but now she is not laying at all.

2. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    hello

i dont think ther is any given time frame as ther is a lot of factors

in my experience this yearwith my first broodys

i let one raise 3 babies this year the other onedid not but wtill had the broodyness goingfor there... its been 15+weeks and i still have no eggs

however they have also been moulting recently which can affectegg laying as does the light.

others have had broodys and had egs a lot quicker
    i hope someone here can help you better than i can

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Our broodies took about 5 weeks to finish raising their clutches, then went back to laying about a week after they'd kicked out the little kiddoes. But this was in the spring/summer. It's on into winter now, so unless you're lengthening the photo period with artificial light, that will be a factor, as well as the age of the hen.

4. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:No clutches here, so that is not the issue. No molting, so that is not the issue. I am NOT supplementing light either, but that doesn't seem to be effected the other 3 girls. They are all the same age, about 28 - 29 weeks. She doesn't act as if there is anything wrong with her and is not ill that I can tell. She is NOT broody any longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by