1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long till a chicken starts laying regular

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by genesis1verse1, Jan 8, 2013.

1. genesis1verse1

genesis1verse1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    North East Texas
    Hi, I've noticed on a few of my chickens that I raised from chicks that their eggs will be real small at first. Then as time goes on they eventually lay normal sized eggs on a more regular schedule. Since I have only raised a few, I was wondering what the normal time frame is for chickens to lay regular once they have layed their first egg? Is it a month? 2 months? I would like those with a lot of experience to tell me what to expect as I will be raising a lot of Australorps this spring. Thanks!

2. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    Usually after they have been laying for two to three months, they have worked all the kinks out of their system and are reliable layers. Australorps are a great choice IMHO. Mine are going on two years old and very seldom miss a day giving me an egg each.

3. genesis1verse1

genesis1verse1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    North East Texas
    Thanks for replying. I have 3 Australorps right now and plan on getting a lot of new chicks this spring. I haven't had any through the summer yet. I live in northeast Texas where it gets hot and humid. Are they good with the heat/humidity?

4. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    I live in Southwest Florida where it is always hot and humid. One of the reasons we got them (Australorps) was because they are heat tolerant. During the hottest parts of the year I keep electrolytes in their water - just a smidge in each gallon waterer. We have had some cooler (HAHAHA) weather lately - highs only about 75-80 and I have left it out of their water and I can't tell any difference, but when it's pushing 100 I always use it. Best of luck. This is an excellent place to learn and to get advice on issues or questions you may have with your chickens.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by