How long till a cornish X pullet lays eggs?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by pattgal, Aug 16, 2010.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Has anyone ever tried to fertilize their eggs just to see what would come out of it If I crossed it with whatever bird I have here?
    How would you know what to look for to know which one to keep?

2. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    my cornishX hen took about 4 and a half months before she started laying. i crossed her with a rhode island red and the eggs are in the incubator [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    about 20 weeks

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Check through threads here ; many have and are . I'll be looking [ and feeling ] for the best developed breast meat on the largest of the potential keepers if the Good Lord allows me to succeed in hatching any .

EDT: Or were you asking which CX to keep as breeders ? Basicly the same answer anyway I guess .

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  5. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:Check through threads here ; many have and are . I'll be looking [ and feeling ] for the best developed breast meat on the largest of the potential keepers if the Good Lord allows me to succeed in hatching any .

EDT: Or were you asking which CX to keep as breeders ? Basicly the same answer anyway I guess .

I might not have formulated that properly, what i want to know is how to choose which pullet to keep. because of their nature they wont all make it. So how do you know which one will come out stronger than the rest, if any
    (which one wont go down on her legs) I have heard of some people being able to keep cornish X for as long as a year. You would have to know what to look for in a bird to keep them that long

6. ijon1

ijon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    gaines, michigan
    Some as long as two years. Mine are five months now and pretty active. I have a steep ramp going to the run. They walk up and down all the time. They spend lots of time in the run when it cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by