How long till a hen with chicks lays eggs again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bantyshanty, Jun 19, 2010.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Her 2 chicks are 10 days old today. She's my best layer. She's a silkie. When might she start laying again? She free ranges in the flowerbed next to the house with them during the day, so I don't want to miss one laid under the greenery.

2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Probably when the chicks are 6-8 weeks old.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

That`s a tough question. I`ve had hens that didn`t lay for 3-4 weeks after they weened chicks and I`ve had some that started laying while they still had chicks with them. Depends on the hen.............Pop

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My two Brahma hens who went broody at the same time both started laying four and a half weeks after hatching and started laying again on the same day.

Hens of different types and even hens of the same type start to lay again at different times, but 3-6 weeks seems to be about average,

Sandie

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Yep. Three to six weeks sounds about right.

6. Heathercp

Heathercp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Durham, NC
    My first broody took a lot longer than that to start laying again. Her chicks hatched in January and she didn't start laying again until April. In May she was broody again. Good mama hen. Not so good layer.

7. tofumama

tofumama Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks are 6 weeks old and just today the Mama is starting to leave them on their own...no eggs from her yet but maybe this is a sign...she is a silkie also. I agree...great mom, not so great about laying! [​IMG]

8. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    My BO has just begun laying seven weeks after her chicks hatched, and about two days after she turned her chicks loose and started squatting again.

9. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Thanks for all the responses! I'd better break my next broody if I want eggs then. I only have 3 layers right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by