How long till a runner reaches it's full size?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RareFeathers, Feb 14, 2011.

1. RareFeathers

RareFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Tamworth, NSW
    i have had a pair of runners from the local feedstore, and i have raised them since they were about 3 weeks, and now they are about 4 and a half months old. they looked normal size, but i recently got 6 more from a local breeder, and they were, according to the breeder, fully grown. and my original runners are roughly 3 quarters the size of the new ones. are they going to grow any more, or have i not been feeding them enough or the right food?

thanks,
    james

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Hi James, It could be that your " feed store" ducks arent as good a quality runner as the ones from a breeder. Different bloodlines mean that although essentially Runners- they may vary great in height and weight due to cross breeding . Your ones may always be just a little smaller. Just out of interest- are you talking about white or coloured runners?

Also - What have you been feeding them ?? I use barastock mostly - Starter- grower and pellets - but will also add some grain or seeds to it- as well as then foraging and getting fresh cut fruit and vegetables each day. Do they have constant access to food - or just a feed morning and night?

3. RareFeathers

Jul 24, 2010
    Tamworth, NSW
    All the ducks i got from the breeder were harlequins, except for 1 blue and 1 fawn. i fed my feed store runners barastock chick starter for the first 3 months, then i moved them on to golden yolk, as several people i know feed them golden yolk or darling downs layer by that age. while they were on starter, i fed them in the morning and at night when i put them in, but once i moved them onto different rations, i had moved them out, and they were given constant access to food and water. would this have affected them?

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Sounds like a fairly normal feed regime to me.. I think maybe its just that your feed store runners may be of lessor quality. At 4 and a half months mine are pretty much full grown with maybe only another inch or two grown after that. Seasons and temperture can effect growth- but you have raised them over spring / summer- so that wouldnt be an issue in your case.

You dont by any chance have any photos do you?? I would love to see someone elses Harlequin Runners. Apart from my own I have only ever seen one other at a show- and photos from another breeder.- Happy to give you an email address if you would rather that way. Also happy to show you some of mine as well if you like.

5. RareFeathers

Jul 24, 2010
    Tamworth, NSW
    that would be great. could you send me a PM with your email? the few months i had them september-january were pretty cold here in tamworth (around about 19 degrees celcius to 25 degrees) would that have been it?

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    That is cool for a Tamworth Summer. It could account in part- but not to extent that you have said the difference is.

Pm Sent... And just because I have a heap on here already

[​IMG]

I love my Harlequins. This is an old pic. But my girls have just about finished their molting but my boys still look a little plain- so I havent taken any of them for a while...just heps of the babies..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by