1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long till mine pip? Update: First ever pip!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Hi

I set my eggs at 4:00 pm on the 22nd of January. There were nine eggs set and all the hens that layer them had a rooster with them. 4 eggs are barnevelder eggs, 3 are hybrid eggs and 2 are cream legbar crosses. The temp has been 95.5 for the 20 days so far and the humidity was between 45% and 50% for the first 18 days and for lock down it is between 65% and 70%. When can I expect some pips? I can't hear any cheeping either.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    I would expect pips anytime now. Hatching between Sat and Mon.....

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I set mine the 20th and had one hatch Wednesday 4 hatch yesterday and have 3 pips so far today. 95 is a little low so yours may be delayed a few days. They should start hatching by Monday.

4. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Did you candle before lock down? [​IMG]

5. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Quote:I did candle before lockdown and the egg was almost completely full and there were air sacs on all of them

6. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Just checked the eggs again after 6 hours there are still no pips or hatches [​IMG]

7. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:I've heard scratching around in a full shell for a full 2 days before I ever saw a pip sometimes. It takes awhile. Sometimes they're still busy scratching at the inside.

8. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

We had a sebright egg pip approximately 5 hours ago, almost exactly 24 hours into lockdown. Also, a couple of the sebright eggs appear to have wobbled over a bit and are facing a different direction now (still round end up, though), so there was definitely some movement happening! There has been no activity in the last 4 or 5 hours that we can notice, but we're only about 29 hours into lockdown. Day 21 isn't until Sunday, so I'm not even worried yet. Everything's looking good.

I just wanna see 'em pip & zip !!! It's our first time hatching. We're gettin' babies from eggs we stole outta gryeyes' yard (ok, well, maybe it was kinda hard to steal them when she gathered them up and handed them to me in a container LOL).

9. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:

x2

10. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Quote:

x2

Sorry typing error. It's meant to say around 99.5 as it is between 98 and 100

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by