How long till my chickens start layung eggs ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coltcogburn00, Jan 9, 2014.

1. coltcogburn00

coltcogburn00 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    Hi BACKYARD CHICKENS LOVERS!! I have 5 Barred Rocks and the guy that own them before I have haven't been feeding them layer feed. I have been feeding them HI-PRO layer ration. How long till they start laying ?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    How old are they?

3. coltcogburn00

Oct 20, 2013
    1 year old

4. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    After they get settled into their new surroundings they should lay. Make sure plenty of feed and water is provided. Outdoor access is good booster too. Is everyone healthy looking? Like good weight, shiny feathers, red combs and wattles, etc.?

5. coltcogburn00

Oct 20, 2013
    Yes, there all good looking. Had them for 1 week today and feeding them HI-PROS layer ration. When do you think they will start laying . 1 yrs. old

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It may take a couple weeks to settle in and feel safe enough to lay.

7. coltcogburn00

Oct 20, 2013
    Dose mater if the sun come up at 7:56 and go down at 5:30. Do i need a light

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, but if they weren't under a light before it takes weeks to get it up to 14 hours and then more weeks to have it effect laying.

9. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    My experience is that there isn't really any time table... I wanted to hatch some eggs last year but wanted to have a broody do the work, Purchased a broody hen from a lady that lived close by, did everything I could to ensure the hen would stay broody during the short ride home, she stayed on the eggs for another day then popped off and never went back and as of today still hasn't started laying... I'm hoping she comes back into lay this spring but we shall see, I think she went through a minor molt over the winter as her comb looked dull, she lost some feather but not a lot. Her comb is turning a brighter red and she has fluffed out again. She is a Molted Java and at the time of purchase was about 8 months old. I wasn't to Hen smart back then or else I would have know she was a bit young to trust to stay broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by