1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HOW LONG TILL MY GIRLS START LAYING?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by widow77, Jul 20, 2012.

1. widow77

widow77 New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    COOPERSVILLE, MICHIGAN
    I GOT MY FIRST SET OF CHICKENS THIS SPRING AND HAVE STILL NOT GOT ONE EGG. THEY ARE ON LAYING MASH. I WAS WONDERING IF THIS EXTREME HEAT COULD BE PART OF THE PROBLEM?

2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my first chicks in mid February, and still no eggs either. It'll happen though. I know some don't lay till 6 months or so.

3. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    how old are they and what breed...an average of hens laying age is 18-20 weeks...but depending on the breed they could start a couple weeks earlier or it could be another month or two...it just depends on how old they currently are and what breed.

4. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012
    one of my red sex links laid her first egg at 16 weeks and one day and my other red sex link laid her first 2 days later....but I have heard that silkies dont lay until 8-9 moths old

5. widow77

widow77 New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    COOPERSVILLE, MICHIGAN
    FYI I GOT THE FIRST SIX ON 4/5/012 AND THE SECOND SIX @ 3 WEEKS LATER.
    4 BUFFS ( ONE TURNED OUT TO BE ROOSTER OOPS)
    2 ISAS
    4 BARRED ROCK
    2 SILVER LACED WYANDOTTES

6. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012
    ok so if you got yours as little babies like maybe just a week old or less that would make the oldest ones 15 weeks old...I would not be expecting eggs until the end of august or later...all of the breeds you have usually are not early producers like my red sex links are..it will still be awhile..sorry [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  7. widow77

widow77 New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    COOPERSVILLE, MICHIGAN
    THANKS I WAS JUST WORRIED IT WAS THE HEAT. I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO KEEP THEM ALL ALIVE AND JUST A FEW PROBLEMS WHEN I INTEGRATED THEM, OTHERWISE THEY ARE A RELAXING JOY.

8. SOchic4

SOchic4 Out Of The Brooder

hi im a beginner i have a golden comet, a barred plymouth, a white leggern, and a black one with golden around it neck i think its also a plymouth just not barred they are about 4 months, i think i should be expecting an egg from my golden comet soon? not sure just wondering what everybody thought, im pretty sure ill get my first egg from the comet but im not sure how old the rest of them have to be, another question and it might sound a little silly, do the chickens personalitys change at all when they start laying? like right now all 4 of mine are loveable and will hop up on my lap and im hoping that when they start laying eggs that theyre not gonna be to "grown up" for me :( heh thanks

9. fishingirly721

fishingirly721 New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    My girls were 7 months old, before first egg laying. Give them time.

10. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Really, you should be getting eggs any day. Especially from the BRs and the ISAs. Wyandottes will lag a few weeks, in my experience... 18 week average for the ISA and 20 for BRs. Should have eggs by 5 months, so.... Right about now ;)

You mention heat; yep that can make it hard for then to lay; how hot arexwe talking about? They should be showing signs of being close, ie combs will turn deep red and they will begin to "squat" for you, it looks like they're "bowing" with their wings spread. They might also be singing the "egg song", practicing for the big day.

If any of that sounds familiar, you could ever well see your eggs soon :)

Same as above on age, golden comets average 18-20 weeks, a little earlier than BRs.

and yes, they most definitely go through chicken "puberty" and turn into mean brats for a period right before onset if lay. As soon as they start laying, they have a change of heart and can become quite the nice ladies ;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by