How long till they fight?

Hamiltoncolin25

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2020
I have 7 turkeys in total(about to be 10 weeks old), 6 of which are bourbon reds. The one that’s not a bourbon red has some pretty bad leg issue, they suddenly got worse a couple days ago. I now have them on a turkeys specific feed as maybe the vitamins and minerals in it can help it out, but if not I’m just gonna put it down. I suspect that ones a hen, but am not including it in the main point as I don’t know how much longer ima have it. I suspect of the 6 healthy ones 4 of them are Toms and 2 hens. 4 of them have this red flap under there beak that connects to there neck, one has a skin tone one, and one doesn’t have one at all. I’ve heard gobbles from I think 2 separate ones, and seen a couple kinda struts. I thought for sure I had 4 Toms, but looking through today I’ve seen heritage turkeys with a red flap being called hens, so I don’t know. Anyways how long do I have to get the Tom to hen ratio a little better before they fight. I don’t think it’s that much of a rush as turkey hunting this year I saw to jakes walk by in the prime of the breeding season just fine. I’ll post a picture to see if you all think there big enough to identify yet(the black ones not in the photo as it doesn’t really eat with the others if all 6 are present). Any helps appreciated

Attachments

• 62F443F9-E127-44BE-A8BD-81E98A7EFEA9.jpeg
    62F443F9-E127-44BE-A8BD-81E98A7EFEA9.jpeg
    934.7 KB · Views: 15
I have 7 turkeys in total(about to be 10 weeks old), 6 of which are bourbon reds. The one that’s not a bourbon red has some pretty bad leg issue, they suddenly got worse a couple days ago. I now have them on a turkeys specific feed as maybe the vitamins and minerals in it can help it out, but if not I’m just gonna put it down. I suspect that ones a hen, but am not including it in the main point as I don’t know how much longer ima have it. I suspect of the 6 healthy ones 4 of them are Toms and 2 hens. 4 of them have this red flap under there beak that connects to there neck, one has a skin tone one, and one doesn’t have one at all. I’ve heard gobbles from I think 2 separate ones, and seen a couple kinda struts. I thought for sure I had 4 Toms, but looking through today I’ve seen heritage turkeys with a red flap being called hens, so I don’t know. Anyways how long do I have to get the Tom to hen ratio a little better before they fight. I don’t think it’s that much of a rush as turkey hunting this year I saw to jakes walk by in the prime of the breeding season just fine. I’ll post a picture to see if you all think there big enough to identify yet(the black ones not in the photo as it doesn’t really eat with the others if all 6 are present). Any helps appreciated
The bag on the feeder is a 50lb bag the feeder is a 30pound feeder, and the boards there by are 4”x4” post, if you need a size reference

They will start fighting to figure out pecking order soon.
The main fighting issue is during
breeding season. Also The toms can tear up a hen when one trys to knock another off and he hangs on.
When I know 100% what they are ima try and trade the extra Toms for young hens, and I thought I did but after seeing what was called a hen I don’t know. That way it’d be 1 Tom and 5 hens or 2 Toms and 4 hens(preferably the first), but I just need to see what’s what. Thinking about taking a slate call out there and putting a zip tie around the leg of the ones that gobble.

They are still a little young to sex from pictures and definitely not from the picture that you included.

All turkeys both male and female will develop a wattle. Toms will develop them a little earlier than hens will and they can turn red on either sex. With Bourbon Reds, once they have their mature breast feathers, the breast feathers of the hens will have light colored lower edges. The mature breast feathers of the males will have dark colored lower edges.

They are still a little young to sex from pictures and definitely not from the picture that you included.

All turkeys both male and female will develop a wattle. Toms will develop them a little earlier than hens will and they can turn red on either sex. With Bourbon Reds, once they have their mature breast feathers, the breast feathers of the hens will have light colored lower edges. The mature breast feathers of the males will have dark colored lower edges.
Of the ones with the red flap, they also have a blue head some more pronounced then others. I don’t know if that makes a difference, and the photo was to show size not sex

Back
Top Bottom