How Long till they lay eggs.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Three Generation, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Three Generation

Three Generation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    I was wonder how long it takes Silikies to lay eggs. Am I looking at about 4 -5 months? I am already actious (sp) and theyare only 7 weeks. I also have some Production Reds that are only a couple of weeks old and do they also start laying around 4 - 5 months. Thanks for all the help. P. S. do I convert them over to layer feed at about 4 - 5 months also.

Thanks

2. Eggzactly

Eggzactly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    marietta
    not sure about silkies but sounds about right for production reds.

3. Dadspossum

Dadspossum Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    I think it only took my pullets about 3 1/2 months or maybe 4.[​IMG]

4. Three Generation

Three Generation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Thank-you for the responses. How about when to convert them over to layer feed.

5. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

I switched them over at 4.5 months old. Most people will say to switch once you get your first egg. And you don't have to worry "Oh but Penny hasn't laid yet!" Penny will do fine switching too. And keep in mind they might not like the new food at first, they'll get over that in a couple days.

6. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    My silkies are about 8 months and I just got my first egg today. Finally!!!! I've also heard to wait until they start laying before switching them over.

7. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    The don't need layer feed until they start laying eggs. I wouldn't rush it. Mine took thier sweet time maturing enough to lay eggs and one I am not completely sure she is laying eggs. I get 4 eggs a day with 5 pullets.

Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by