how long till they lay

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    These are my 5 Rhode island reds chickens. They are 23 weeks old. But i don't know when they will start laying. The pictures of them are below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    patience grasshopper...

Do not project stress on the RIR.

Two weeks ago I collected 1 egg from my old white leghorn.

Last night we collected 6 and the night before 7.

They will lay when the time is right.

Are you doing your part?
    Do you trim and paint their nails so they all look good when they go out together?
    Do you allow them to sleep in and take luxury baths in sand imported from the coast of Africa?

j/k about that stuff. Srsly, they'll lay when they're ready.

I have a midget RIR and I don't think she's going to lay. But I'm going to give her a few extra weeks just in case.

3. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I do like my RIR birds though... Very personable. They come right to me and like to chatter with me. They don't really like being held, though they tolerate being picked up.

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Judging from their age I would say very soon, but judging from their pictures I would say it is going to be quite a while. You will notice their combs and wattles start to get huge really fast, then they will turn bright red. After that they will begin squatting and within a week after that you will have an egg [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by