How long till they pip after they really start to rock and roll?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gamblelover85, Jun 21, 2011.

1. gamblelover85

gamblelover85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    I've heard that you should try to help them out after 24 but i wanted to give the little one a chance to do it on it's own. Not to mention the controversy in helping or not. what should i do? At 24 hrs i broke away some of the shell where it had pipped through to make sure it could breath and everything was ok. It's still moving but i'm not hearing any peeps and the movement is slow. Any help would be appreciated. I know it's a bad picture but i had to take it with my phone and it's not so great at pics sorry.

[​IMG]

UPDATE: I'm sadly reporting the loss of both pipped eggs one from 48 hrs ago and one from 24 hrs. We did do an eggtopsy though and my son and my mother dissected one. It turns out their mostly heart. Poor things. The only odd thing i found was that the yolk wasn't all the way absorbed on both. Almost like they died right after they pipped. Oh well still got 11 to see what comes out. RIP little chicks.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Nature Is Taking It's Course

3. glscottjr

glscottjr Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    My 2 cents worth would be let it go. Whatever happens is meant to be. I just "helped" a button after it had pipped 24 hrs earlier. Now I have a tiny bird with crippled feet. [​IMG]

4. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    Quote:The 1st chick that hatched yesterday broke himself free and he acted like he was going to walk on the sides of his feet. Here's a pic and if you look at his feet their bent and i used a tape splint (put small pieces of tape on both sides keeping the back toe free) on both feet and he's walking straight and his toes are just fine.
    [​IMG]

I don't know if this will help your problem at all because you have to do it while the bones are still soft after hatching. I'm no expert at this but i've been doing so much research the last 4 days before they hatched. But it really did seam to work. And most of the information i got was off this forum. I am so glad it exists.[​IMG]

5. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    The longer they are in the egg past due date they do have more chances of week and deformed. HOpefully the splint will help his toes.

6. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    Quote:I haven't gotten a pic yet but we took the splints off and now he's running around like a new quail it really did work for him/her. Now i just have to figure out why the second chick is so lethargic i've been making sure he stay's hydrated with suger water. [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If they get dry during hatching, or for some reason it takes them longer to get out of the egg, their feet will curl like that.

8. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
  9. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    We have 3 more eggs that have been rockin and rollin all night long. Just out of curiosity does anyone know roughly how long it takes them to pip after moving so much? Really it doesn't matter but i like to have all the information i can find. Thanks to anyone who can answer my question.

10. the outdoorsman

the outdoorsman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Good luck I hope they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by