How long to be in the coop before free roaming?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chantald, Jun 10, 2008.

1. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm getting 5 or 6, 6 weekers tonight to add ot the flock.. hahaha.. DH will flip..maybe he won't notice.. [​IMG]

How long should the newbies be kept in the coop before they imprint that it's home?

2. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    About a week or two. Do you have others that free range? What I did was take a chunck of chicken fence 2 ft high and about 10 ft long and just make a little area right outside the door so they got used to going in and out on there own w/o me having to chase them at night. Evently after a few days they start to jump over it so that's when I knew the were comfortable enough to go out futher on their own. It has worked great for me in the past. Good luck!

3. chantald

Yes, the other 15 free roam.. and hate to be locked up..

4. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    Quote:I think they will be fine after a week. Will they be in the same coop as the big ones?

5. chantald

They currently are in the same coop as the bigger ones. Aside from some jockeying for position.. they are being ignored.. probably because the big ones come in at dusk and settle down to sleep..

6. hollyinpa

hollyinpa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    Today I let the girls explore the yard a bit more - under my supervison, of course. They were curious about their big sisters' coop/henhouse and Gladys protested a bit about it. [​IMG]

The little chicks are growing quickly, are fully feathered, and ready to explore the yard more than I am ready for them to explore the yard.

They spent the night outside for the first time last night and survived despite huddling together near the door instead of cozying up in the bin with pine shavings or up on the covered roost. Silly chicks.

When their new coop arrives next Thursday I will help them learn a better "bedtime" routine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chantald

so cute! Love the coop!

8. hollyinpa

hollyinpa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    Quote:That coop was purchased online and delivered as a "kit". It was easy to assemble and easily houses 3 hens. We extended the run though - to give the gals more room.

Our new coop arrives next week and the smaller coop will be used for a bit longer before we combine the chicks with the two sister hens....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by