1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long to break out of shell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flock-mama, Jun 11, 2008.

1. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Probably a dumb question but, After waiting 21 days, the chick breaks out of shell, how long does this take? From first crack, to yes im out? Is is like 6 hours or something?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Can be 24+ hours from pip to hatch.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Yes, I agree. I only had one group hatch so far and had one that was taking too long (so I thought). It had been almost 24 hrs since it pipped and I thought it needed help. Nope, no help needed, there is a reason it didn't finish yet. It hadn't absorbed it's yolk yet and I lost that one [​IMG] . I felt horrible, I got a little nervous on one other but then it just zipped it's shell a couple hours later and was fine. But this is my limited experience, I am gonna just leave all the rest alone and not toss the last egg till day 24 or so.
    Krista

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Exactly what Katy says...sit on your hands too!...

5. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Ok I will sit on my [​IMG] hands. It's SOO hard not to look. So I am clear, what is pip and zip? I assume it the begining of the break out of shell. Sorry I don't usually hatch eggs, I get them 2 days old.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

A pip is the first break in the shell...Zip is when they're working their way around the shell breaking it as they go.

7. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Did I mention the eggs are hatching under a hen? Does that make a difference in hatching time?

8. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Ok thanks for making that clear. pip and zip. I don't get to see much since they are under hen. Its making me crazy because she is having all the fun! But now she can do all the work too. lol.

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Here'a a pip...
    [​IMG]

then a zip...
    [​IMG]

and a chick...
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch!!! It's so excited to watch! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. flock-mama

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Thank you for pics! Just shared with the family so they know what I'm talking about and pics help. I know I drive them nuts with all of this. But as I learn, I want to teach them, even if they don't want to know! lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by