How long to does it take bantams to break the shell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RainForestBird, Aug 29, 2016.

1. RainForestBird

RainForestBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    I have several bantam chicken eggs that are supposedly a "barnyard mix". I got them online. Their hatch date was yesterday and I can hear them peeping and and tapping on the egg but there are no chips or cracks in the shell. I did hatch some quail yesterday and had to help one out because he had been at it for about 30 hours. The membrane was like leather. But once I tore it a little with a pair of tweezers he slipped out. He's zipping around in the brooder with the other chicks now. I'm worried the bantams might be trapped. How long does it take them to break the shell? Humidity is 66-70%

2. caw555

caw555 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    If it's been over 32 hours since you heard them there going to need some help
    #no-pressure
    Ps just tap gently on air sack end /fat end with butter knife handle

#[​IMG]=[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. RainForestBird

RainForestBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    I was working in the yard and while I was away a chick hatched. When he dried off I heard another one chirping and the next thing I knew it there was another one. I saw no pipping. I got 2 chicks out of 5 eggs, not too bad for shipped eggs.

The quail are also doing okay, I lost 2, but the 3 remaining. are ok.

4. caw555

caw555 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    That's pretty good then they do tend to just pop out!!![​IMG]
    Sorry about the two quails though.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by