1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long to eat eggs after deworming

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mattschooks, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Mattschooks

Mattschooks New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Hi.
    I was wondering how long should I wait after deworming my chickens before I can eat the eggs again?
    Thanks

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Most dewormers have a withdrawal period of 2 weeks. Please don't try to incubate the eggs laid during the 2 weeks after deworming them. The dewormer residue has a very bad effect on the developing embryos.

3. Mattschooks

Mattschooks New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    So I can't eat the eggs for 2 weeks?

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That is something you will have to decide. Me, I eat them. I don't worry about the dewormer residue in the eggs and it hasn't had any adverse effect on me. But if you are allergic/sensitive to certain medicines/chemicals I'd suggest you don't. If you do not have any allergies and think it's safe for you to eat them, go for it.

5. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I have incubated many eggs collect right after worming and have never had any issues at all. (wazine/ivermectin) We usually wait a week before eating the eggs after worming, some people say 2 wks but I can never wait and the eggs always look & taste 100% normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by