How long to expect aggressive behavior towards new chickens?

MiaSophia2020

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
Hi all. How long (approx) should I keep new chickens separated from existing flock?
I have 2 new 1 year old silkie hens introducing to existing 4 chickens (4 month old silkie chickens (2 hens, 1 rooster) AND a 6 month old white leghorn hen (she was a “gift” from a friend).)
Currently have them separated by a gate in the run and while sleeping in coop at night. Only allowing to socialize if I’m outside with them. White leghorn hen is being very aggressive, chasing and pecking/pulling feathers from the new silkie hens.

For reference my coop is approx 6’ x 8’ and outside run is approx 6’ x 12’.
I have separate water and feed, was hoping would only take a few days... now worried the leghorn will hurt the little silkies. Any advice?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Good idea about separating the leghorn! I didn’t think of that. She’s crazy, (highly activeand flies... never planned on having that breed of chick) so it will be harder to keep her separated but perhaps I’ll try that tomorrow. Thanks!

Hi all. How long (approx) should I keep new chickens separated from existing flock?
I have 2 new 1 year old silkie hens introducing to existing 4 chickens (4 month old silkie chickens (2 hens, 1 rooster) AND a 6 month old white leghorn hen (she was a “gift” from a friend).)
Currently have them separated by a gate in the run and while sleeping in coop at night. Only allowing to socialize if I’m outside with them. White leghorn hen is being very aggressive, chasing and pecking/pulling feathers from the new silkie hens.

For reference my coop is approx 6’ x 8’ and outside run is approx 6’ x 12’.
I have separate water and feed, was hoping would only take a few days... now worried the leghorn will hurt the little silkies. Any advice?
Are they similar in size right now? I would suggest putting the white leghorn in a dog crate, sounds like she is the only problem? Too bad it's not the other way around as silkies are so docile. I know most people say give it about a week, in this case maybe a little bit longer. I know many people say 30 day quarantine before introducing new flock members to protect from any potential disease that may exists. Maybe you have done this already? Best of luck!

Yes the leghorn is the problem. I actually separated her tonight based on the previous response and all my silkies snuggled up together to sleep, (silkies all similar size). Not sure what to do about my “regular” chicken other than keep her separate for a while. She’s so high energy, keeping her confined is hard and I don’t have a lot ton of space. She was not part of my backyard chicken plan. :) thanks for the suggestion!

Good idea about separating the leghorn! I didn’t think of that. She’s crazy, (highly activeand flies... never planned on having that breed of chick) so it will be harder to keep her separated but perhaps I’ll try that tomorrow. Thanks!
** UPDATE - separated the leghorn tonight and worked like a charm! Silkies were all very happy to pile on top of each other and go to sleep. I’ll keep her separate for a couple days and see how it works. Thanks again!

Another update: about a week in now from introducing new silkie hens and the leghorn’s aggression is getting worse rather than better. She actively chases down, jumps on and pulls feathers from the 2 new silkies even though they try to stay completely out of her way. I have to keep her separated all day in the run and at night in the coop (and not enough room to do that honestly). I’m thinking she may have to go.

Back
Top Bottom