how long to expect them to drink?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommathea, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    We just picked up some chicks from a hatery somewhat near. When we left they weren't even fully fluffed out.
    When we got home I dipped their beaks in the water, but none of them started drinking it. I know they got some because they tilted their heads up and made gulping motions. But none ventured on their own.

Should I keep introducing them to it every so often?
    When should I expect them to eat and drink?

Thanks!

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    refrain from handling for the first 24hours, they won't drink until they have wormed up and even so if your water isn't at around 98 degrees the still may not because they lose to much heat.

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Once should do it. They will drink when they need water. I hope you have a heat light. They need to be kept about 95 degrees for first week and drop temp. 5 degrees a week. Good Luck and read all you can on here. Best way to learn.

4. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Thanks, their in the brooder at 95* They stayed nice and warm in the car with a handwarmer in the box with them. It read almost 100, to keep them warm while they finished drying.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chicks can live off the nutrition of their yolk for the first three days of life. That's why it's possible to ship chicks all over the country without worrying about food or water and why it's possible they won't show much interest in food or water today.
    By tomorrow but maybe not until the next they should be ready for some food and water. Just keep it available to them.
    Beware of them getting too warm as well as too cold.
    Enjoy!

6. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Once is enough, they will drink when they need to.

7. sully707

sully707 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    and oh man... will they drink and eat.

8. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:and poop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by