How long to feed medicated chick starter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by srsmith69, Dec 7, 2009.

1. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My chicks hatched 10/30 so they are 5 1/2 weeks old. Almost at the bottom of the bag of medicated crumbles. How long do they need the medicated feed. Then, what do I switch them to? They are a mixed lot of marans, EE, polish, and unknown others. The roosters will eventually become supper.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If a seperate grower is available, you can switch now (when you run out of the starter). If all that's available is a combination starter/grower then just continue to feed that until 18 to 20 weeks or when you get your first egg; whichever comes first.
    If you have enough of the starter left to make a gradual switch, by mixing the old with the new, that's best; but not absolutely mandatory.
    Around here all that's available is a starter/grower. Seperate grower is next to impossible to find.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I just ran out of chick starter as my oldest of 8 chickens reached 9 wks and the youngest reached 6 wks; the nearest feed store said "That's all there is, until you need to change them to layer feed." However, the original feed store where I bought the chicks had told me they had "intermediate" feed to start using at two months and until the hens begin to lay... but that feed store is 20 miles away and would close half an hour after I got off work. So I picked up more medicated starter feed at the closest store on the way home. The employees there looked puzzled when I queried AGAIN about feed to use from 8 wks old until laying... they didn't think there WAS any other kind. [​IMG]

Next time I won't cut it so short, and I'll pick up the "intermediate" feed from the distant feed store on a weekend, before I'm down to the last bit of feed in the bag.

It just makes more sense (to me) to feed my chickens food formulated for their growth stage, if it's available (and I can buy it in time).

4. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    tsc stores carry purina now and they have starter, grower, and layer.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Most feed stores only carry the starter/grower combo, so that may be why they don't know about the intermediate. Some carry just the starter and also sell a grower ration. If using the combo type feed, they can stay on that until they lay their first egg or you can switch them around 16-20 weeks to a layer ration. Either way is fine.

6. JayDe

JayDe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    I read somewhere that you shouldn't feed the medicated starter after 8 weeks? Anyone know why? I think it was on the Purina website. Mine are about 8 weeks and I was going to switch them..but I have a half a bag left.

I looked it up and it says, "Start & Grow[​IMG] Medicated can be fed to chicks until 8 weeks of age to prevent coccidiosis." I guess that is just when its less likely to be a problem for the chicks?

I want to do what is best for the babies. Thanks!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Coccidiosis is more of a problem in young birds, as it can quickly overwhelm their little bodies. However, if all you have available to you is medicated starter/grower, I see no harm in letting them eat it until they get to laying age. My birds ate it right up until I got my first egg, with no ill-effects.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by