How long to get eggs if I use a light?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bkreugar, Nov 18, 2009.

1. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Okay so I have about 15 hens of various ages about 1/2 are of laying age.2 were laying until a few weeks ago then quit. I now think I quit getting eggs from them and no eggs from my youger ladies because we are only getting about 10 hours of light.

From what I read I will have to get a light in the coo to get eggs again. My daughter NEEDS these ladies to start laying again as she wants to do a science fair project on the effect peanuts have on egg laying/size frequency etc.

SO if I add the light today how long will it take for at least my older 2 hens to start laying again? They stopped laying about a month ago except for the rare single egg from my red sex link aka oldest and workhorse of a chicken.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    2 to 3 weeks.

3. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think I saw somewhere to increase the light gradually. I don't remember teh details. Maybe someone else knows.

4. walkerkm

walkerkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Ma
    Hi There!

I noticed my hens were slowing down so we added light to the coop on 11/7.

I was afraid that i would have to wait until spring for my ee's to start production...i got my first ee egg on Monday 11/16![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Production has picked back up this week-in my case it took a little over a week. I only added the light from 5am-7am in the morning and no light at night...trial and error i guess is the way!

I used a 50watt florecent flood light and have it pointed far away from the roost.

Stay Positive...it will happen!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  5. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hmm.. I might try this. Thank you.

6. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Thanks a bunch for the answers! I already had a light in the coop but stopped using it last year as I was told they didn;t need it.Got to see if DH will put it on a timer.

7. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    Yea it kills me to go to the store to buy eggs. So my 2 girls production has drop this last month ok with me they needed a break. So this month I added light 2 days ago we'll see how long before production picks up again.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by