how long to give a hen to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sutphindanesnchickens, Feb 21, 2009.

1. sutphindanesnchickens

sutphindanesnchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    NorthofColumbus Ohio
    I've had a barred rock hen for almost 3 months now that is a yr old and hasnt layed an egg...bout to give her the boilin pot....how long to give the hens to start laying they have a white heat lamp on them bout 12 hrs a day out of 9 hens i'm getting 4 eggs a day....
    FRUSTRATED IN OHIO

2. cms1113

cms1113 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    DE
    i know how you feel!! My free-loading hens are just here for the ride,lol! But mine probably are still warming up to their new environment since we just got them 2 weeks ago. Good luck getting them to lay!

3. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    Have you tried increasing their protein?

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:why are you picking on her? you have 5 not laying..

short days, too cold, too many "treat" foods, cut back on the sratch feed or cracked corn.
    I give mine warm water to drink when it is very cold out..

I am guessing it is something that you are or are not doing to have this low %..

5. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    You don't say what breeds are in your mix. Some breeds lay earlier than others.

I agree with the temperature thing....the colder the day for me the fewer eggs.

I have never done the supplemental light thing so don't have any expeirence on how that impacts laying, but they say it helps. But I had two breeds that laid all winter in Montana with no supplemental ligh and cold temps in Montana.

At 3 months I would say give them some time.

6. mjane

mjane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Give her more time. It's been so cold in the east. My girls even the jerseys have quit for a while. Once spring gets here and there is lots of light they will come back laying. This happened to me last year and I was so frustrated but they went back to laying. By the way maybe if you add some artificial light it might get them going. They need about 12 hours of light, did not work for me but you never know.

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    LIGHT IN COOP , FRESH WATER , AND PLENTY OF LAYING PELLETS

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I just re-read the original post..

chickens need at least 14 hours of light..

give her at least as long as it takes for the rest of them to start laying.. it is too cold to process chickens right now anyhow..

9. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:My barred rocks were 9 months old and NO EGGS . I added lights in coops and BINGO [​IMG]

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'd say give her a while longer so that she starts getting more daylight. My BR laid for 2 weeks in Dec-Jan, then quit. Not an egg since. I'm waiting for the days to get longer before I get really impatient!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by