How long to give new hens and rooster before incubating eggs

darajosami

Songster
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
South West Victoria, Australia
I am getting 10 Brown Leghorn hens and a Brown Leghorn rooster Tuesday or Wednesday and they all come from the same place. I am wondering how long I should give it until I collect the eggs for incubating? I will be collecting for eating but how will I know if they are fertile or is it just trial and error? Can you tell by candelling?

I take eggs for hatching once hen is into third day of exposure to rooster. Assumption is he is covering her.

Thanks, another question. I will take pics tomorrow to help make it clearer but for now I need to just describe it.

I have a plank I suppose you would call it going from one side of the chicken shed to the other that is about 1-1 1/2ft deep that we generally covered with hay with the last lot of chickens we had (when we had no idea we needed roosts and nest boxes
th.gif
) would we be able to keep using that the way we were? The chickens would lay there and very rarely layed anywhere else unless we didn't clean it quick enough LOL.

I always effort to have nest and roost separate. Provide an alternative roost site that is high and at least a few feet away from area eggs are to be laid in, If need be, then make so birds can not roost in nesting area by placing up some obstruction there about an hour before dark. Also move birds to desired location over a couple of nights, preferably right after or during the process of going to the roost. I play with my birds more than most so have had time to experiment with adjusting roosting behavior.

Back
Top Bottom