How long to go with the red 250 watt brooder light?

bigoakhunter

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
My chicks are 2 1/2 weeks and seem to be feathering well. They are in basement in brooder with a red 250 watt bulb. They are out growing brooder and new coop is ready, insulated with ventilation. I want to move them outside, but not let them out of coop to the 8x16 run for another week. We are in Michigan and temps have been around 70, dropping to mid 30's each night. ( ya gotta love Michigan) Question is: if I move them out, how long do I supply 250 watt red heat bulb for?

Eventually I want to go to just a heated waterer and when laying some supplemental 60 watt or so light to increase daylight from 8 to 9 hours to 14.

SO how long on 250 watt heater? Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'd like to know too! Someone should be by soon to let us know
wink.png

I was planning on doing the same thing here...putting mine out in the coop (which is insulated as well) around the two week mark. I'm putting the whole brooder out there for maybe a week, then just using the coop. Put a thermometer out there. As my DH pointed out, with a heat lamp (mine is just 150W), it would warm up much faster out there than in the house, because there's no AC kicking on. When I was out there yesterday, it was around 82 degrees in there... so I'm thinking of using a lesser bulb during the day, and the 150 W one at night once they're out there.

By the way, I couldn't even find a housing assembly that was rated to accept a 250W heat lamp bulb. Where did you find one???

Mine is an actual brooder reflector, with two hoops crossing the open end to keep the lamp from contacting the bedding and a ceramic bulb socket to deal with the high heats. I got it at Lowe's a couple of years ago.

RSD

The hardware stores where I live have hanging reflective lights with the bulb guards on them...select one with a ceramic fixture and 250watt rating. If the chicks are cold, they will congregate under the light but if they need less heat, they move away. Watch to see what they are doing and if need be, lower the light to raise the heat where they are. Mine feather out faster when it gets a little cooler. Good luck with them.

I have a 125 watt blub and bought all the works from TSC
Chicks will cling to gether and keep each other warm.They too hold heat ,itgot to below freezing last year.
I once try to use the 250 watt but it was to warm ,
My neighbor alerted me to the fact mine were 2months and I had 3ft. of wood shavings. so hang the heat lamp higher.
I hang mine over the water feeder so the water dosent freeze. and if they need more warmth they will hang around the water,
our nights have been about68 the last few days and rain,
but the days are 70-80.Be carefull on babys with a 250 watt .

We are in Australia and its currently spring here. The nights get down to around 55-60. My chicks are now one month and well-feathered. The coop we've bought isn't insulated. Do you think I can move them outside now?

Quote:
Are you putting the brooder light out with them?? I think I'd do that for at least a week to help transition them...I guess if they're all huddled around it, then that would mean they're too cold???

Quote:
Are you putting the brooder light out with them?? I think I'd do that for at least a week to help transition them...I guess if they're all huddled around it, then that would mean they're too cold???

They are currently inside and I have been turning off the lamp at night to get them accustomed to the cold. So far they haven't complained. It's about 60 in the house. There's no real facility for a lamp in the coop, so perhaps we'll keep them in here a little longer and then as the weather warms up we'll put them outside.

I put them out int he coop this afternoon.

I put the 250 watt red light out with them. Pine shavings on floor. They definately have more room and I will watch to see if they are all huddled up. I have 2 windows on thecoop I can look in to check on my babies! So far so good.

Life is a great adventure!

Back
Top Bottom