How long to heal??? (pic of day old chick w/wound)

Azulegg

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
south central PA
I was freaking out yesterday evening trying to stop bleeding from a day old silkie chick. The size of the wound was a pin prick. I found my stop bleed powder and put lots of it on the chick then I covered it with a band aid. The chick is doing fine this morning. I just wonder how long I should leave the band aid on and how long it will take for something like this to heal on a small little thing. BTW, it's a silkie chick.

fluffballchick001.jpg

Last edited:
Very cute! As long as the bleeding has stopped you should be able to take the bandaid off. I wouldn't put her back with the others until there is no blood visible...they like to peck at bright red things.

Thanks all.

I think I will leave it on extra long just to be safe. The little thing is in with it's momma, and two other silkies (another hen and a roo). I just want to make sure she/he does not get pecked! I am going out to check on him/her now.

Quote:
Bandaids do come in handy for little boo boos. I used bandaids and cardboard to make a theraputic shoe for a red golden pheasant chick as it's one foot was curled. It helped him/her get along better. The foot did straighten out as I added extra supplementation because usually in pheasant chicks crooked toes or curled foot or any other weakness usually means a deficiency. Once the deficiency has been fixed it repairs the curled/crookedness. What makes me mad is breeders take these chicks and kill them instead of fixing the problem (they assume it's genetic when it usually isn't).

As to my little silkie chick, he/she is doing fine so far!

Back
Top Bottom