How long to incubate call ducks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by asher, May 16, 2008.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Ummm..I got differing opinions. I have some in the incubator now (set on the 1rst) so kinda need to know soon. [​IMG] Thanks!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ducks take 28 - 32 days to hatch.(Except Muscovy take 35 - 38.)

I had an appleyard duck hatch at 26 days and the 2nd did not hatch until day 31. There is no gaurentee they will pip on day 28 and hatch. They may pip and then take 24 - 48 hours to get out.

3. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    So when should you stop turning?

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I stopped on the evening of Day 25 almost beginning of day 26.

5. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Okay, thanks. I was thinking the call ducks didn't take as long as reg. ducks since they were bantams.

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Everything I read said they could hatch 2 - 3 days earlier. But it is like every other egg when they give you an average number of days of incubation. I have read tons lately on ducks. I have Dave Holderread's book in my hand and I don't see anything more specific for them.

7. stoneskipper2u

stoneskipper2u New Egg

Jan 31, 2014
    On hatching call ducks I use a guideline that I had read here online. I will go through it with you and for those of you that find this helpful then great...:) Set your incubator at 99.5 degrees. I make sure this degree is at the center of the egg, especially if you are using a still air incubator. This is what I use. Make sure temp. is right. Humidity should be right at 84.5 if at all possible. Make sure it is 93% humidity last 3 days. Do not cool your eggs the 1st week in the incubator. Starting on the second week you will want to cool your eggs 5 mins. each day, I usually do this at noon time when turning. At the start of the 3rd week you will want to increase the cooling to 8 mins per day, On the 4th week, you will want to cool for 12 mins per day only for the first 4 days. I find misting my eggs helps in hatching and always use luke warm water. You will want to lower the temp. by 1 degree the last 3 days. Turn your eggs a odd number of times, you do not want your babies sleeping on the same side night after night. Make sure you alter them an odd number of times. As far as misting your eggs, you will want to do this the 4th through the 26th day and then stop misting. I have babies hatching right now as I'm typing this...YEAAAA I only mist the eggs on one side and that is usually after I cool them and then turn them 180 degrees. Make sure small end is always pointing somewhat downward. As far as poultry eggs, I do not mist or cool my eggs at all and I have great hatch rates. I hope this helps, if I have left anything out that anyone might want to know or still has a question, please let me know. Thanks

8. stoneskipper2u

stoneskipper2u New Egg

Jan 31, 2014
    PS....My call ducks are on day 26 today and are hatching. Just thought I would share this.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by