1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long to keep chick in chicken prison ( cross posted in baby chick)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiemom25, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    well it looked like all was good with the 2 groups integrating.. Been 2 days.. Then when I got home, Emilio ( actually a girl and my oldest) started chasing Barbie ( the youngest and possible roo but very docile) around and jumping on it. again and again.. When I went out to the run Emilio would behave. Minute I turned my back the squawking and chasing started again. So I caught Emilio and put her in the dog crate facing the run.. She HATES this.. She is isolated from her buddy who was her companion for her first 8 weeks of life. The buddy ( Snowflake) is in with the other girls now including poor Barbie. How long do I keeo Emilio isolated to teach her not to pick on Barbie who runs every time she sees Emilio even looking her direction?

2. Chickiemom25

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    well it looked like all was good with the 2 groups integrating.. Been 2 days.. Then when I got home, Emilio ( actually a girl and my oldest at 8 weeks) started chasing Barbie ( the youngest 6 weeks and possible roo but very docile) around and jumping on it. again and again.. When I went out to the run Emilio would behave. Minute I turned my back the squawking and chasing started again. So I caught Emilio and put her in the dog crate facing the run.. She HATES this.. She is isolated from her buddy who was her companion for her first 8 weeks of life. The buddy ( Snowflake) is in with the other girls now including poor Barbie. How long do I keep Emilio isolated in chicken prison to teach her not to pick on Barbie who runs every time she sees Emilio even looking her direction? Barbie has completely submitted to every bird to far, she is definitely the bottom of the pecking order. [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm doing this also with our oldest EE(14weeks). She keeps biting and chasing my d'uccle(8 weeks). I kept her in the wire dog kennel 2 solid days. I took her out, the EE was fine in the coop/run, but not on the roost. I've been locking her up only at night for the last 3 days. Her behavior has improved a little, but I don't fully trust her. I just integrated fully last week. The only problem I have is my older EE.

4. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. we are very protective of are birds. We have 5 pens and free range on different schedules so they don't mix. Chickens can be vicious so when the pecking order gets out of hand we remove the bird (victim) and try to find it a new home.

5. Chickiemom25

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Maybe this is a EE characteristic.. I think that is what Emilio is. Beautiful bird and fairly friendly but relentless with this little barred rock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by