How long to keep hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NonTypicalCPA, Jul 22, 2011.

1. NonTypicalCPA

NonTypicalCPA Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    SW Michigan
    We've got seven 18 month old hens. How long do people normally keep them before switching them out? My kids don't like the idea of turning them into meat birds [​IMG]. How long will they live if we decide to keep them as pets?

2. Maximus

Maximus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    Normaly they live to 5 or 6 but I have had many that lived longer.

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

many can lay that long...less eggs as you go. I'm keeping mine till they give up the ghost. [​IMG]

4. Maximus

Maximus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    Quote:Me to! [​IMG]

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I have three that are 3 years old, and their egg production has dropped drastically. They will go this fall when there are less flies. By taking out the older ones, I can get new chicks each year. Young pullets will lay through the darkness of winter, older pullets make nice size eggs. And old hens make very good broth. Once in a while one gets to be special, but for the most part they get old and crabby, and then with the thought of new chicks, it makes it easier.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Mrs. K :

I have three that are 3 years old, and their egg production has dropped drastically. They will go this fall when there are less flies. By taking out the older ones, I can get new chicks each year. Young pullets will lay through the darkness of winter, older pullets make nice size eggs. And old hens make very good broth. Once in a while one gets to be special, but for the most part they get old and crabby, and then with the thought of new chicks, it makes it easier.

X2​

7. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Fred's Hens :

Mrs. K :

X2​

x3​

8. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    i have a 10 yr old at the youngest hen who gave up laying this summer. but he egg count did go down to one every week or so. i had a silkie who laid till about 10 or 11 before she quite.

9. NonTypicalCPA

NonTypicalCPA Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Wow, that's longer than I expected. I guess I'll have to experiment with adding new chicks into the flock, hopefully without having to eliminate my kids favorites older hens.

10. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    10 years is the average expectancy for chickens. They can lay well the first 3 years and then slow down dramatically. A 10 year old hen can lay an egg. I don't plan on getting rid of mine for anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by