How long to keep in Jail??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sab, Aug 8, 2011.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    I jailed Hateful Helen away from the other 4 because she was being extreme in her behavior toward the 2 new juveniles I'm integrating into the flock. You can see the difference between "I'm going to terrorize you to show you who's boss" and "I'm going to pull every feather out of that lovely young back of yours". That was Hateful. She's now in jail - in the tractor by herself for a week now. She's not happy. How long do I keep her there? Will 2 weeks be enough to give her an attitude adjustment? The 2 juveniles have been doing well with the other 2 adults although they are still being kept in check. I looked in last night and they were both huddled facing the wall sitting on the poop board under the roosts. But before the early evening was out, I'm sure the older birds let them up on the roosts. It's almost like a college sorority freshman hell week. I feel sorry for them.

But I had read on this board that separating out the aggressive bird will rearrange the pecking order. So how long is she going to be a jail bird???

2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I do mine a week. Then I watch with the reintroduction. At the first repeat of the behavior, they go back for a second week. Never had one have to go back a third week.

3. CorgiHouse

CorgiHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    Quote:So do any hens ever get their laying patterns messed up by being 'in jail'?? I'm just wondering if they get used to laying in a different area, or on the ground instead of a nestbox, if they will 'remember' to use the nestbox when they are returned to their coop/flock.

4. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I would think she could be on the work release program now. Probably short term probation will be neccessary, but most likely, at this point, she will conform to the structure of chicken society. [​IMG]

5. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Quote:So do any hens ever get their laying patterns messed up by being 'in jail'?? I'm just wondering if they get used to laying in a different area, or on the ground instead of a nestbox, if they will 'remember' to use the nestbox when they are returned to their coop/flock.

They lay just fine after the return to the flock. I keep mine is a large, wire dog cage 24/7 when in jail. Food and water are in the cage. They have a 2x4 down the middle so they are not standing on the wire.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  6. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Ok
    I've made a decision about the jail sentence. As long as this thread is active, that's how long she remains locked up.
    BTW she is in a chicken tractor that she has lived in for well over a year until recently when the new coop was built. She has familiar nests and a cozy roosting area. She has grass to eat and lots of fresh air. She by no means is suffering in jail. Except that she bangs her beak on the hardware cloth like a tin cup and paces back and forth. I'm pretty sure that sound she is making is "out, out, out...."

7. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Ok, so someone had mentioned to me that if you take a chicken by the feet
    and turn upside down and pull a tail feather out, it would embarrass it so bad
    that the behavior would immediately conform. Anybody know if this is true?[​IMG]

8. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Sab, I'm in exactly the same place you are (so exact that I actually looked twice to see if it was my post!) My girl- in the tractor for a week now. tried them together today and still no contrition on naughty Rosie's part. She's back in for another few days and we'll see how that works.

9. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Quote:Maybe my rooster should have this form of torture done? He needs to conform to my society! He ninja kicked me today!! We will ignore the fact we keep him in the backyard to protect the coop from being harassed by our three dogs. Yes, he brutally attacks our dogs.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Well, exactly how logical does that seem to you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by