1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long to keep this hot heat lamp on??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dirtbath, Mar 20, 2012.

1. dirtbath

dirtbath Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    North Carolina
    My itty bitties are two weeks old. I started the red heat lamp around 92 degrees, now it's about 82. The bedroom they are in is so hot and they avoid the lamp area like the plague. The temp outside is 83 today and the house is probaly around 80. It just seems so frickin hot. Can I turn the heat lamp off during the day and just have it on at night? They seem to do find keeping each other warm in the bedroom....

2. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Man, I wish it was 82 degrees here....

Chick behavior is the best indicator if your brooder is the correct temp. At the right temp, chicks will scatter around the brooder, not clustering (too cold) to or avoiding (too hot) an area. Sounds like yours is too hot.

I assume you are using a "real" 250 watt heat lamp, like the kind the feed stores sell. I find those too hot for our brooder. I use an 80 or 100 watt red landscape bulb, the heat is way less extreme. I get these at Walmart or Kmart. Red helps prevent picking, but you could use a clear one, too. You could also use a regular incandescent bulb in what ever wattage you think works best. You may need a little heat at night, so this may be a better option?

82 is okay if they are starting their 3rd week. You may want to check your thermometer, it might be off a little. I usually have 2 to compare. Follow your instincts and how they are acting. Best of luck.
    [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I think you can probably take your cue from the chicks. If they are avoiding the lamp like the plague, then they are probably too hot. I would think you could get by with turning off the heat lamp during the day, at least. If at some point the chicks start peeping loudly and acting cold, then you can take it from there...

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Start at 90 degrees the first week and decrease the temperature by 5 degrees each week until the temperature inside and out of the brooder is about the same.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

5. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I agree with the others, watch how the chicks react. Sometimes a heat light is not needed if the temperatures are too warm. Right now, I am actually use a 100 watt bulb in our chick building at night and a 60 watt bulb during the day with the AC set to 83 and that is for 2 days old to 1 week old. If they avoid the light and are at the outskirts of the brooder and panting, TOO HOT. If they are all huddled under the light, TOO COLD. I do use a heat light for the first day when they first come out of the hatcher. Good luck with your little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by