1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long to lay eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by schockm, Nov 6, 2013.

1. schockm

schockm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    Hi,
    I have a barred rock, light brahma, and a buff Orpington going on 8 weeks. About how long will it be until they start laying eggs?

2. specsussex

specsussex Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2013
    midcoast, Maine
    The very earliest would be about 16 weeks, but PLAN ON 24+ weeks, that way you won't be so disappointed! :)

3. schockm

Oct 6, 2013
    Ok thanks!!

4. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    Our barred rocks started somewhere around 18-19 weeks. We're in Canada, so the days were really long at that time. This time of year with the days getting shorter, you may wait longer. Tough to say.

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Good advice :) It's hard to wait for eggs and it's easy to get disappointed when they get to a certain age, if you've allowed yourself to have your heart set on them laying at a certain age.

I have two barred rocks and one started laying around 18-19wks old and the other started laying around 27-28wks.

6. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    We only have about 9-10 hours of light now, and they are still laying as reliably as when we had 17-18 hours of light.

In another month, we'll be down to about 7-8 hours, so we'll see what happens.

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Mine are barely getting 12hrs of light, and they still lay the same as well :) We're just lucky!!

8. schockm

Oct 6, 2013
    Thanks everyone! Your post were very helpful!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by