How long to leave broody hen with hatched babies?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by drezac10, Jan 1, 2011.

1. drezac10

drezac10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2010
    Pine Island, MN
    I am attempting to hatch some babies under a broody hen. When they do hatch, how long should I leave the hen with the babies?

2. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    The hen will show the chicks how to be chickens. There is no reson to remove them from a good mother. I have chicks (hens) that are over a year old that are still in with there mother and all the others. If you mean how all long till the chicks can be on there own, then I would say wait for them to feather out unless you plan on providing some type of heat for them

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  3. Hi Drezak! The chicks should hatch 21 days after the hen started 'brooding / setting' the eggs.
    The hen will 'mother' the chicks for 5 or 6 weeks (at least). You can leave them together indefinitely or take the chicks away at hatch and hand raise them in a brooder.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. ChickensR2addicting

ChickensR2addicting Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    My Coop
    Yes leaved them with the mama and you won't have to do a thing!!!
    Except give them peep food and water at their level.
    It is also a great experience to watch a hen take care of her peeps.
    They usually do a great job!

5. drezac10

Dec 24, 2010
    Pine Island, MN
    Thanks for your help. Looking forward to seeing how the hatch turns out. First attempt. 9 eggs under broody and 19 others in LG Incubator.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  6. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:If you do take the chicks away, do it right away before she gets attached to them and then give her new eggs. But I would recommend letting her raise the chicks, she will let them know when she does not want to care for them anymore.

7. drezac10

Dec 24, 2010
    Pine Island, MN
    Quote:If you do take the chicks away, do it right away before she gets attached to them and then give her new eggs. But I would recommend letting her raise the chicks, she will let them know when she does not want to care for them anymore.

I think I will let her raise the babies, to cold here in MN to keep her broody. Just decided to try it this time.

8. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    OHHHHHHHHH Leave them please!!!!!!!!!
    There is no right or wrong time Momma hen will tell you when she has had enough.
    My Bertha Brooded her chicks until they were 18weeks old and she couldn;t get on top of them anymore.

Oesdog [​IMG] good luck. remember Momma knows best!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by