1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long to leave chicks on medicated feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mistymeadowchicks, Mar 15, 2011.

1. mistymeadowchicks

mistymeadowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    I would like opinions/ experiences on medicated (Amprolium only) chick starter vs plain chick starter. I've googled & read lots of posts, but am still undecided. Brief background: I raised 10 chicks last spring on medicated to POL, lost 0, they did great & currently free-range w/ yogurt, BOSS,sprouts, etc for treats & layer pellets. I've read posts about building natural immunity by allowing exposure to the bad stuff they will encounter in their environment & since this birds will free-range, that makes sense too. (I had even bookmarked an excellent post that I of course I can't find.) I'm sure there is lots of 'stuff' in the soil now since there have been 22 chickens + wild birds on it for almost a year. This new batch is 35 days old give or take; I have been feeding medicated starter, weekly yogurt, & just added a dish of dirt to the brooder, but was wondering when/ if to switch to plain starter. Just to clarify, I'm asking medicated chick starter vs non-med. chick starter, not switching to some other feed. Thanks in advance for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I keep them on the medicated for at least 5-6 weeks. I too suffer no losses during brooding and grow out. Practicing good flock keeping is vital and the medicated starter takes that issue off the table. At 6 weeks, they now should be able to develop their own immunity. It's worked for me. Either starter/grower or grower, but no layer until POL.

3. mistymeadowchicks

Nov 19, 2010
    Fred's Hens Thanks for the reply--I'll plan to stay w/ medicated for at least another couple weeks. I think I'm pretty careful w/ flock management--water is changed twice daily, food is dumped if pooped in & new shavings added regularly. They're in a 6'x 7' brooder w/ hover so they've got another 8 sf on top for 25 chicks. There has yet to be an odor or any wet spots (the waterers are in another lid to contain spills.) I appreciate your time.

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I never feed medicated myself, but at 6 weeks if I DID I'd think that would be when I'd take them off.

5. sueche

sueche Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    [​IMG]

I bought a large bag of it. I have 8 chicks that are bout 25 days old. Is it okay to just finish the bag?

What else should I be giving them?

Whats the yogurt you give them? Plain? with fruit and granola [​IMG]

Thanks

6. beetlebob

beetlebob Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    My new chicks are only about a week old and I have them on medicated chick starter. I was wondering that question too. Now I have an answer. I never heard about giving chicks yogurt?? Can you give more information about giving them yogurt?

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I keep mine on medicated chick starter for 8 weeks, more if I don't put them outside by then. It does relatively little good to stop it before they are exposed to real dirt. If the chicks are off medicated feed for a while and then go out to the real world, there has been no exposure, hence no immunity built.

I learned that the hard way and lost 10 youngsters within a week, about two weeks after they were out in the yard. I didn't have housing ready for them right away so I kept them in the brooder for 11 weeks, but started non- medicated feed at 8 weeks. Heartbreaking lesson.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  8. mistymeadowchicks

Nov 19, 2010
    gryeyes Thanks for the reply & warning, so sorry for your loss. That's a lousy way to learn but thanks for sharing & saving others the grief. I added a small shovel of dirt from near the coop to the brooder, planning to add more gradually. Will that help? Or should I keep them on medicated feed until they've been outside which may be a few more weeks depending on weather? '[​IMG]'

9. mistymeadowchicks

Nov 19, 2010
    Quote:Google "yogurt" or "probiotics" on this site. You need plain, w/ active live culture (I use Stonyfield Farms or Dannon or use these as starter & make my own--also very easy to do.) As w/ people--it's great for the good bacteria in the digestive system and they love it. Word of warning--get out of their way when you feed it or you'll be covered w/ splatters. I've been giving it twice a week to my chicks since they were about a week old--they were scared of it at first, but by the second 'treat' they'd figured it out & love it. '[​IMG]'

PS. I just read your post about your chick losses. So sorry & best of luck w/ the new ones you're getting tomorrow!

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Always for one month after you start letting them touch dirt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by