How long to leave eggs under broody, after one has hatched?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SpeckledHen35, May 24, 2019.

1. SpeckledHen35

SpeckledHen35 In the Brooder

May 8, 2019
    Scotland
    Hello!
    This is only my second attempt at hatching eggs under a broody hen - with the first attempt resulting in a disappointing 0% hatch rate..!

So this time, early early on day 21 I was thrilled to discover a little Old Cotswold Legbar emerging from it's shell.

Day 22 now - and nothing from the other eggs... ( they came via the post, so always going to be risky.. I guess?)

What would you do now? Give it another day? Candle them? And if so, what I'm I even looking for if candling?!
    When will the broody decide it time for the other chick to eat and drink?- so far she's sittin' tight.

I was hoping for more than one! But tbh after having zero last time, this is a great success, lol!

Chickassan and gtaus like this.
  2. gtaus

gtaus Songster

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    I read that a broody hen will sit on hatching eggs for about 3 days after the first chick hatches. At some point around 3 days, she will give up on the other eggs and start to care for herself and the hatched chicks.

SpeckledHen35 and Chickassan like this.
  3. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Lightly tap the un hatched eggs and listen for peeps. Even if you don't hear a thing put them back and wait at least 3 to 4 days after the first babe.
    You have to leave time for late developers, and egg gathering miscalculations since these aren't eggs you gatherd.:)

SpeckledHen35 likes this.
  4. Chickassan

Oh and your first hatched babe, just keep food and water "in a chick safe container" close to the broody. She won't let it starve, remember it had 3 days of food already prestocked from the yolk but keeping food close at this point will make your broody's life and job easier.;)

5. SpeckledHen35

May 8, 2019
    Scotland
    Thank you! Yes, I've got safe food and water all set up for them close by.
    I'll give the eggs a little tap later in the day - see if they talk at me! Fingers crossed!

Chickassan likes this.
  6. Chickassan

Rooting for you and your babes! :fl

SpeckledHen35 likes this.
  7. SpeckledHen35

May 8, 2019
    Scotland
    Did a few taps on each egg - complete silence. I'll leave them alone and see what happens tomorrow. ( the other chick is gorgeous though! Hope he\she gets a sibling!

Chickassan likes this.
  8. Chickassan

Me too! At least you have a nice broody so if you do only end up with one it won't be lonely
    Good call on the hatch method.:)

9. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    Exactly that has just happened here - my broody brought the two chicks that hatched Tues night/weds morning out this morning, leaving one unhatched egg behind. On opening, I found it had died at about day 4 of development.

gtaus and SpeckledHen35 like this.
  10. gtaus

gtaus Songster

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    Mom's know best...

Chickassan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: